More new distortion pedals I don't need...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by David Wilson, Apr 17, 2003.

1. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm drawn to these things like a moth to the flame. Especially multi channel stuff, I can tell I'm going to have to order this one just to try it out.

MXR M-151 Double Shot Distortion

Details here

Seriously though, looks interesting. EQ for each channel. Apart from the eq, switches to provide Mid adjust on one channel, and 'low end tighten' on another.

Favorite quote from manual 'Focus switch notches mids for maximum heaviosity'. Does it embiggen the sound also? :)

Next one isn't really new, just new to me: Blackstone Mosfet Overdrive

Details here

It's tiny! 4.4" * 2.4". I emailed Jon Blackstone, he said he's had good results with it on bass. Anyone had experience with this one?
  2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    heaviosity is a perfectly cromulent word.
  3. jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    Im really sorry for posting this but im new to effects and very interested. Can you use guitar effects pedals with a bass always or do some not work well or do they all work fine???
  4. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    In most cases no, as they're not usually designed to cope with the lower frequency range of a bass. Some are designed with a full frequency range in mind, such as Sansamp TRI-AC, and as such work fine on both guitar and bass.

To use a 'guitar' pedal on bass you need a pedal which does at least one of the following:
    a) supports full frequency range
    b) provides a dry/wet blend
    c) provides some form of low eq to make up for any low end sucking performed by the circuitry.

Alternatively, you can split the sound and put clean into one amp and distorted into another.
  5. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    So does this mean that it will embiggen your tone with its cromulent heaviosity then?
  6. Sweet looking pedals... I'm always in for a new distortion pedal :)
  7. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Yes, heaviosity is a perfectly cromulent embiggens us all, even the smallest man..
  8. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    So Dave... what's the verdict? Did you ever try these?

What interests me about the Double Shot isn't the 2 channels, I really only need 1. But at 18v it ought to have tons of headroom, which is lacking in the M-80. I've run into gain saturation problems with the M-80 at the end of a hot signal chain - I still want more gain out of the thing but it chokes if I go past 2:00. It starts doing the volume swell thing, and damping high notes where the string is a lot closer to the pickup. So maybe the 18v Double Shot can handle a hotter signal with "bludgeonacrity". ;)

The Blackstone also looks really interesting. I never really had the terminology to describe what I *wasn't* looking for in a distortion until I read his website. "Fizziness" and "plinkiness" are the 2 things I dislike most about distortions, and this guy knows the deal! I thought the only solution to the plinkiness problem was passive pickups, but his design definitely seems worth checking out.
  9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I tried the doubleshot, I thought it would be very guitar centric and it was. Even using the eq, it still didn't sound right. I didn't try too much after that to use it, just returned it straight back to MF.

I never tried out the mosfet, I emailed the guy and he replied that people had used it on bass successfully by adding some post pedal bottom end eq - i.e. it sucks low end out. So that did put me off, but I'm still interested in it - I'm sure I'll end up ordering one sometime. Hey, it's Christmas soon right? :)
  10. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You say you want a distortion pedal that can operate at 18 volts? Have you ever tried the Fulltone Bassdrive? I have one and LOVE it!

...from the Fulltone website...

Running the Fulldrive2, Bassdrive and FatBoost on 18 volts DC!

Won't that hurt them?

No, not at all, just make sure that the polarity is correct...meaning that the center pin gets the Negative (-), just like the 9volt adapter you'd use with it.

What will it sound like?

Quite different actually....the FD2 gets much more dynamic, a little brighter and a lot less compressed, more articulate, more amp-like, with more of the strings coming through....very nice!. The "Comp-Cut" mode gets a serious increase in headroom without distorting. Using 18volts DC, The FatBoost gets tons more Clean headroom, doesn't distort at all, and can get upwards of 30db of crystal clear gain. The Bassdrive just MUCH better for Bass guitar with the extra headroom and clarity.
  11. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    Very interesting... but I'm not looking for added clarity, headroom, string noise or less compression - just more gain!!! More, more, MORE!!! :D I think I'm gonna have to order a Juggernaut...

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY

Try a Carl Martin Heavy Drive or Fuzz pedals. They have killer dist & keep ALL the lows, distorted of course...

13. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    Thanks ~S~, I've heard you mention them before... is that what you're using?
  14. DEVILMAN, can you dial in all the low-end you need with the Fuzz pedal? And is is it sensitive to how hard you play (i.e. does it distort more when you dig in, and less when you play softer)?
    I've tried the Hot Drive'n Boost mkIII, and while it's a very good overdrive/distortion, it absolutely sucks out the low end. Shame really.

(BTW, funny to ask someone in N.Y. about a pedal thats made just 40 kms from where I live :) )

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY

I have a Heavy Drive & it keeps all the lows intact, plus distorted. It doesn't bypass them to a clean sound & has a very wide range of sounds available. Although, it basically is just a distortion & not an overdrive, even at lower settings.

I have not really seen too much of a difference with sensitivity to how heavy you attack the strings, maybe at lower settings with a passive bass or an active pre set VERY low, this pedal screams.

The Fuzz has controls for bass but I'm not sure about the low-end cut(if any) in that pedal.

From my experience with the former, I'd say it retains all the lows also.

Personally, I like a pedal that lets all the low-end through so I can control it with my basses eq when & if necessary, so when I shut it off & play "clean", I can make eq adjustments on the fly without touching my amp settings. The highs & mids just let you fine tune the overall sound(which can also be adjusted by your basses eq).

The Martin's are also true bypass, another plus.

PS: What the hell are you holding in your avatars pic?
  16. Well, I'm going to try the Carl-Martins out along wiht an EBS Multidrive soon. Thanks for pointing out the Heavy Drive and The Fuzz.

PS, it's a banana...
  17. I've got a blackstone overdrive I use with guitar (my all-time favorite OD for guitar!), and I've been playing bass through it a little, and it actually sounds reeeeaally nice. There's a tiny loss of the low end (really only at higher settings), but otherwise adds some very organic dirt/growl to your bass sound. Click it into "red" drive, and it's face melting time. :cool: No fizziness, just smooth, usable, distortion. Use a blender to bring back any low end loss, and this thing's a winner, IMO. Maybe I'll post some sound clips if anyone's really interested...

And way to resurrect an ancient thread, right?
  18. RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Absolutely!!! But, I like the idea of having the controls needing a flat headed screwdriver to set them. That's pure genius, set and forget.
  19. kingofthestring

Aug 31, 2007