1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

More newbie quesions - Dee Dee Ramone review?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hofnerlover, Mar 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Forgive me as I still can't navigate this site very well - but its getting there!
    A couple of days ago I posted asking some basic Fender questions and the response was GREAT! Many thanks to all who responded. I learned a lot. Things have greatly changed in the 30+ years since I last gigged.
    To summarize, I was asking about P Bass quality based upon year and place of manufacture. I spent this weekend hitting the local stores and am now more comfortable with the newer and lighter Fender gear. (Lesson #1 - Heft does not equal quality!).
    Sweetwater and Sam Ash both show the Dee Dee Ramone model and I love it's looks.
    I can't find a local store that has one but from what I can tell, it has all the features I find appealing and comfortable. I really want an Artic White with Maple fingerboard and the price seems reasonable for a guy no longer playing professionally.
    Have any of you guys out there played one or have one? What are the negatives if any? ( Remember I'm currently playing and loving an early 1980's Japanese Squier P Bass, so that's my reference point.)
    Once again Thanks for all the imput!

Tbone76 likes this.
  2. Killed_by_Death likes this.
  3. I'm a fan of the Ramones, deep down, so I felt the urge.

KyleSerlington and dragon2knight like this.
  4. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Still a solid performer and terrific value - I'm considering a second one should a flyweight show up on Sweetwater.

5. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    The neck specs on those are very appealing to me.

TMARK likes this.
  6. HarveySpaceBass

HarveySpaceBass

Sep 24, 2007
    I bought one back in August after not owning a P bass in almost 30 years. The specs are what drew me to it. Basically an almost '75/'76 copy. It is definitely a quality bass. Plays and sounds awesome. In fact, I let an owner of several American P basses use it at a gig (Yeah yeah...I know) and he and his bandmates all commented on how much better it sounded and played than his Americans. Considering Musician's Friend has one on sale today for their Stupid Deal of the Day, I say you cannot go wrong here. I would definitely check out their site if you are seriously considering buying one.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    Tbone76 likes this.
  7. I own one and I have to say it's one of the lightest basses in my arsenal but it has the biggest neck of all of them though but still very comfortable to play. I'd buy it from musicians friend right now since it's a killer deal.

8. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    HOLY COW that is a good deal -- and I just pulled the trigger. At this price, it's impossible for me to resist.

Tbone76 and HarveySpaceBass like this.
  9. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    I snagged one, too. At $499.99 ($300.00 less than Street Price), how could I NOT???!!!!!

Gabba Gabba HEY!

Tbone76, KyleSerlington and Lowbrow like this.
  10. I blew it! I tried to buy one but they were out of stock! You guys beat me to it. I'll keep looking for another deal. Does Musicians Friend ever repeat a "stupid deal?"

11. eldoryder

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Back when MF was blowing out the Squier VM Telecaster Specials, it seemed like they did multiple STOTD sales first on the vintage beige, then the black model, until their warehouses were completely depleted. It may just boil down to surplus inventory on particular models. My best advice? Always check on the MF STOTD listing first thing every morning. That way, you have enough time to research the reviews, count your pennies, and decide whether or not to pull the trigger BEFORE they run out of stock.

12. THX Eldoryder - I'll do exactly that and watch other sites as well. I've pretty much committed myself to this bass but since I'm on a limited budget and don't gig professionally, I don't really care to spend $800 for one.

13. eldoryder

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Hofnerlover- I know exactly what you mean. I had already resigned myself to the fact that I would not be buying a new DDR P, because $800.00 was just out of my price range. I figured a used one would come around one day, missing the gig bag and all the special edition candy, and I would get one then. Imagine my surprise when MF brought it out as their STOTD for $499.99! I'm getting pretty close to being out of GAS, at least until I find one of those nice FSR ash-bodied Fender Jazz models. I've seen them jump $100.00 in price since last year for a new one. Used ones are gettting harder and harder to find. I've bid on a few and lost each time. Patience is a virtue.

14. I totally get it! Patience is not one of my strong suits - once I make up my mind. MF must not have had too many of the DDR P's in stock though 'cause they were gone in a few hours.
    I figure that Fender - or their distributor network- must have made a deal with MF and if that's the case, they are likely to make a deal with some other dealers ( Sweetwater, Sam Ash, etc. ) I'll just have to begin my day with a quick check of the major dealers and be ready to pounce.
    Now if only I can be sure to put the $ aside and not get tempted elsewhere.....

15. eldoryder

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    I would not be surprised if Guitar Center didn't end up putting a sale price on these as well, that is IF their inventory on them starts to back up. That's what happened with the Squier VM Telecaster Specials....they weren't moving well after the first year, so MF started the ball rolling with a major discount, and GC followed. Of course, I prefer MF, because they don't charge sales tax (yet). But don't be surprised if MF does come back with a repeat STOTD on these. If the first one was successful, they very well might acquire remaining inventory on these and try it again. They've done it before. Don't forget Amazon.com. I have seen them list a bass at a super sale price for a very brief period (one day or less) after they have seen them on sale elsewhere. Check "Hot Deals" here at TB, they keep up with this stuff.

16. Thanks for the tips. Those are some places I wouldn't have considered. I have no idea about talking base either. Enjoy your weekend

17. eldoryder

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    KyleSerlington likes this.
  18. Oh that's painful to see knowing that I was so close yet had it slip thru my fingers. Nice score tho

19. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Zzounds might be a good option if you can't come up with the street price right away. They have a "play as you pay" program that splits up the price into 4, 8, or 12 month increments, they don't charge interest, the only downside is paying a $15 fee at the first installment. You can use a credit or debit card. I picked up two basses and a new combo amp through them, all paid for. The Dee Dee Ramone Precision is going for 8 monthly payments of $100.

Fender Dee Dee Ramone Precision Electric Bass at zZounds