More Ohm questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by grey, Apr 2, 2005.

1. grey

May 13, 2004
    Just trying to understand how single/dual cabs work, and can't seem to make sense of all the numbers, so I'm just trying to understand this stuff on the simplest terms.

I have a 350 watt head (4 ohms)

If I have one 8 ohm cab, I can expect to get about 240 watts worth of that (I'm told this is approximate output)

If I have 2 8 ohm cabs,I get the full 350 watts worth.

Are these statements correct?
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yes... you got it!

as you add cabs the ohm ratings drop. As the ohm rating drops, most amps put out more watts (in not-so-technical terms). If you peruse the FAQ you should get all the info you'll need.
  3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    For solid state amps, the wattage changes with impedance change. I don't know what amp you have, but it should have listed wattages. But keep in mind that when you add more cabs the wattage is spread thinner. However, you need 10x the watts to get twice as loud, while you could get louder much more quickly adding cabs.
  4. grey

May 13, 2004
    I'm just torn between getting a single 8ohm cab (possibly adding a second at a later date), or attempting to find a cheap 4 ohm which isn't a 4x10....which is prooving to be pretty difficult
  5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
  6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the 8 ohm 4x10 should do you fine. its not just about wattage, its about how much air you move. a 4 ohm 2x10 might get more watts but it will only move 1/2 the air the 4x10 does.

now this is assuming all other things are equal (which they never are) there are tons of great 2x10 cabs out there which blow away other 4x10's because they are more sensitive and are voiced in such a way to be very loud while the inferior 4x10's arent.