1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

more ohm questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nubs, Dec 29, 2006.

1. nubs

nubs

Mar 1, 2005
    Wisconsin
    if my cabinet doesn't state what the OHMs are rated at how do i know....i am talking about an old SONIC 4X10.....I am assuming its an 8 OHM cab, but you know what happens when you assume. I am asking because i have been running it with my GK backline 600 and my backline 2x10....wanna make sure this is cool....any help?

:help:

2. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    I'm assuming that you could measure it with a multi-meter - but again, I agree about assuming. Try plugging a cable in and measuring at the cable; that should make it easier to measure.
    I think that Ohms is Ohms is Ohms and this should be no different than measuring anything else.

I'll go try it now and report back...

I just measured one of my Avatar SB210 Neo cabs that is rated at 4 Ohms. The meter read 3.1 Ohms. Not sure what that indicates, but there it is.

Another suggestion would be to see if you can actually see the speakers by removing a cover from the back, and you could see how they are wired. That may be a longshot, but it'd be a certain answer.

3. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    No, DC resistance measured at the jack or cable and impedence are both measured in ohms, but they are not the same. Ohms is definitely not ohms. It might be close, but usually the DC resistance is less than the nominal impedence.

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    A value at the meter above 5.2 ohms or so and below 7 or so will indicate that it's an eight ohm cab.

5. nubs

nubs

Mar 1, 2005
    Wisconsin
    okay wait plug a cable into the speaker jack at the back of the cab and measure it with my ohm meater on the other end that would go into the amp? help me out here i am not only a rookie but i am kinda dumb....

6. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    OK, that makes sense. Doh! Of course...I was measuring resistance! What a maroon!
    :rollno:

7. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Yes, that's what I was recommending. Now, in light of the advice above, I'm not sure I stand behind that being the best way. Better to listen to others on this topic.