1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

More on bass for standards/bebop jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by markr, Dec 19, 2003.

1. markr

markr

Mar 1, 2002
    SF
    There was a great thread on this with some good suggestions, both for particular basses & EB jazz players to listen to. I have a particular question in visiting a music store near me (Subways in Berkeley).
    They have an incredible number of basses, and I'd like to get a feel of where to start. Many are custum creations, for example, a Warmoth body and neck, with Alembic soapbar pick-up driven by active Bartolini circuitry. Or a USA fender neck, warmoth body, Bartolini pick-up and active tone. There are all sorts of variations, around $600-700.
    They sound like quality parts, but are these brands and active circuitry an advantage for straightahead jazz? I'm coming from a short background in upright, playing with other amateurs; I won't be doing a ton of slapping, though who knows? I associate Alembic sound with Clarke, not sure its too appropriate for bebop or standards.
    Recently Bass Player mag did basses under $800 reviews; the Washburn T-34 sounded like a good bet (online new about $420). How hard would it be to upgrade later in pickups if I wanted a better sound?
    I'll have about $1500 to work with for guitar & amp when I sell my upright.)

2. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Hi,
    I am a Bay Area bass player to so I have been into Subway a number of times. I would however, say that you need to be very very careful with anything you bye there. I have seen there building rooms and they just throw the parts around with very little respect for them. There necks are just sitting in a big pile. A lot of the instruments I have picked up there have had problems with the preamps not working or one of the nobs having problems. For the money you have to spend I think subway might still be a good way to go, but make sure to really look over any instrument. Also about your other questions I think that a preamp is helpful in all types of music, for straight ahead it comes in handy when going to the back pickup for solo's or getting more punch more walking, I would just make sure to get a jazz bass if that is what you are going to be playing. Well, I hope this long reply helps
    Peace,
    Jonathan
    PS if you want a used cab I have a swr workingman 410T for sale in SF ($300).

3. Kelvin

Kelvin

Apr 30, 2000
    Singapore.
    I would definitely distance myself from more "modern" sounding basses. I do use an older (80s) MIJ Jazz Fretless on such occasions.

If you are intent on replicating a more upright like sound, there are some ABGs out there that offer a decent approximation. You should have several options in your stated budget.