More on my SWR dillema!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Golden Boy, Jan 8, 2004.

1. My first post here was more or less in reaction to my SWR SM-900 blowing ANOTHER fuse during a gig. The amp had been in the shop for about a week in which the tech could find nothing wrong. He did however notice that the thing ran unruly hot. He did talk to SWR(Fender) and it is supposed to run hot, how hot I guess is a matter of debate- I wouldn't want to hang on to the handles for any more than half a second at it's running temperature.

What the tech did is adjusted the fan to run all the time on a low speed, and then when the temp sensor would normally kick in the fan it kicks it onto the higher speed. He also suggested that I place a fan in my rack to dissipate the heat inside the rack case. What I did is, I went to Radio Shack and got a 3" fan and mounted it to the top rail of the back of the rack by drilling 2 holes and affixing the fan with a couple of screws and nuts. I put a 2prong plug at the end of the wires for the fan, hooked it up to a switched outlet on my power supply.

In case anyone is having similar problems with a rack mounted unit...Hopefully my suffering will not have been in vain...