Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

more on scales and chord theory

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by jared j. ranly, May 30, 2002.

1. jared j. ranly

jared j. ranly

May 24, 2002
    hi this is my first post on the forum. i am just getting into scales and chord theory thanks to this great site. i have been playing bass for a little over a year, but i played guitar for around 10. usually i figure a song out just by listening to it. been trying to apply theory to the songs my band plays so i can improvise better during the songs. here is my question. i was listening to "you ain't seen nothin' yet" by bto last night, and i was trying to figure out what key it is in. the beginning of the song sounds as if it's in the key of Dmaj, then the intro to and the refrain sound as if they are in the key of Amaj?? is it common for songs to switch keys?? any help in this matter would help me out a great deal.

thanks
    jared j. ranly

2. Absolutely a song can switch keys, especially in a bridge. However, usually, the key change is a change in "key center"...it has a relationship to the original key. In this case, if it truly is centered in D maj at the beginning, and switches to A maj, it's related (a 5th above). You'll see key centers often change to a major or minor third, as well.

Many songs will change key centers and then return to the original, some will stay in the new key center, or some will just wander off into space! ;-)

Theory-heads on the list, please correct me if I'm wrong on this.