Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More options....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 2BitBassPlayer, Sep 1, 2001.

1. Im looking for a second bass possibly fretless. I can go as high as $700 canadian ('bout 500 american) I cheched out a yamaha bb series fretless, i didn;t like the feel or the look. Becides a MIM jazz or p what else would be in that price range? Im also possibly interested in a Ashbory would that be good second/virsital bass to give me a different sound then my Squire std. Jazz.

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Owning an Ashbory, I wouldn't exactly classify it as versatile. While it will definitely give you a different sound than your Squire, you may want to have another, more conventional, axe in your arsenal before going with the Ashbory. This is totally my opinion. Please don't let me or anyone else tell you what you should spend your money on.

-robert

3. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    The Ashbory will give you a different sound, but I would not consider it to be versatile. The Ashbory emulates the "thud" of a double bass with its short-scale and rubber strings. An electric fretless on the other hand "sings" with a "mwah" sound, which is distinctly different to what you can get from the Ashbory. I would go for a regular electric fretless - try www.ebay.com - there are some bargains to be had there - just do a search for "fretless". Best thing is to actually try out an Ashbory for yourself.

4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    About $500? fretless? But not a Fender?

I'm sure there's tons, but the only thing I can really think of is a Schecter SB1-FL.

It's $459 on musiciansfriend.com I believe they use EMG preamps and pups.

It's only a 2 band EQ, but it'll suffice.

Musicians Friend's site:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ex/shop/home/010826153120063024028117454633?pid=513119

Schecter's site:
    http://www.schecterguitars.com/Dprods.htm

After you goto their site, check in their "Past models".

I think Musicians Friend has quite a few left.
    I've never personally played one, but it matches your description, and from what I gather from the one moderator (I forget which one), who owns one, they're good.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

2 other very good low cost fretlesses are the MTD Kingston and the Cort Artisan.

Both are under $500.

6. Who said anthing about it haveing to be conventional? :D

7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Cort Curbow Fretless.
    :)
    Very good, IMHO.

8. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Good point!! Actually, nobody did, but I 'interpreted' your usage of the term 'second bass' from your original post to mean that you wanted a 'quick grab' bass for when a string broke, or some other onstage calamity!! If that's not the case, and you're looking for an extremely fun axe to futz around with and use occasionally on gigs, then I spell that A-S-H-B-O-R-Y!!

I bought mine off ebay without having tried one before... not exactly recommended procedure, but I am a big boy spending my own money. If I hated it, there'd be nobody but me to blame! Fortunatley, I love it, and I consider it one of my gig-able basses.

-robert

9. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I really do think of my Ashbory as a string bass -- hard to play in tune, and hard to play fast on. And, it sounds like a string bass! Well, at least a plugged-in string bass.

So if that's the sound you're looking for, then go for it! But be aware, I also think of it as a one-trick pony -- not a lot of flexibility. I do agree with whoever said it doesn't do the Jaco "mwah" thing.

10. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Good call MJB!!! I'm diggin' those cat eye sound holes!

-robert

11. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
  12. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Wow Crawling Eye, that's the first negative I've ever heard about the Rhapsody. Maybe you just saw a bad example.

13. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    ...but how do they SOUND?

14. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I played the fretted version, so I doubt the comparison would be accurate. I was actually looking for the fretless, and the guy was like "We don't have the fretless, but here's the fretted model."

Although, it sounded fairly good.
    I wouldn't have bought it, it's just not my sound.
    I'm sure it'd sound great fretless though. :)

15. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Yeah, it could've been a blem? I don't know.
    I'd suggest checking a few out in the stores though, to make sure that the one I saw was just a blem, and they're not just built poorly.