1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

More osage orange wood questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NKUSigEp, Aug 18, 2007.

1. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    So, I just found out that I've literally been burning thousands of dollars worth of wood over the past few years. It's come to my attention that it's a valuable wood for instruments and I've just been tossing it in the fireplace.

(Here's the link for the previous thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4568560#post4568560 )

My questions:

How would one go about using this wood to make parts for basses and bows

OR

How would one go about selling the wood to someone who could do that?

2. Hedge-apple, osage orange, sometimes called ironwood in the midwest, is a rather beautiful dark orange-red hard wood that the eastern North Americans used for hunting bows. A Cherokee friend of mine used it for flutes. It is quite commonly cut into blanks for archery bows and some violin bowmakers are experimenting with it. It can be used for many things in wood working. This is one place where you might locate buyers and resellers:

http://www.woodfinder.com/marketplace.php

Also, instrument and bowmaker Martin Brunkalla is one maker I know of who is using this wood. It might make a beautiful electric bass top as well and I'm sure could be used ornamentally in many places. There was only one of these tree in my neighborhood in downtown Atlanta and it was a big one. Apparently it was not harvested, but it was removed when that area was "re-developed". Generally these trees are regarded as pests, but it is one of the best archery bow materials in the world. I was a bit sad to see it go unused. It was about 3 ft in diameter at chest height. Very large for this species. It is the only one I have ever seen, but they are quite common in other parts of America.

3. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Thanks for the info!

4. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    wait... you mean that all that crappy brush that we buried was worth something? we had so much of that stuff around here a few years ago i do believe

5. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Osage orange is known as bois d'arc around here (pronounced, in the inimitable Texan, way as Bodark) which is French for bow wood. I'm a Kansas boy, myself, and up there we called 'em Osage oranges.

They weren't as useful as wild persimmons, which formed an important component of one's education. Generally, around the age of seven or eight, one would be invited to bite into a beautiful orange persimmon, only to have one's face pucker up like a 1958 Edsel. This inevitably led, when one was nine or ten, to offering these unripe fruits to another novice.

6. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Are you talking about eating their fruits? We set a few around the outside of the house - they help keep critters away LOL

7. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Haha don't eat those green fruits off of 'em they're poisonous.

8. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    Lol it would take a heck of a trooper to keep a straight face after biting into a early persimmon. The fruits are actually pretty good once they are fully ripe.

9. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Yeah, the fruit of the persimmon. At the house I just moved out of (divorce), we had a Japanese persimmon that had been grafted onto a hickory. Every year it puts out beautiful fruit, much larger than the native kind...but I was speaking of the native persimmon. Before it gets **really** ripe (before it develops the sweet taste) it looks ripe -- but it is as sour as anything you can imagine.

Actually, the word "sour" doesn't begin to describe it: it's more acid/sour/corrosive/I-don't-know-what so that your faces forms an immediate pucker, centered on your unfortunate tongue.

This element, of course, is the basis for its popularity among the preteen set as a paradigm of deception.

I don't think anybody eats Osage oranges. I never even saw anyone (back in the day) **daring** someone else to partake.