1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

More piano stuff... I'm not sure if this guy is joking or not

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassyBill, Mar 11, 2009.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Maybe I shouldn't, but I can't resist sharing this. Make sure you watch the whole thing.

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/92033_piano-jazz-five-four.htm

This guy has 21 videos on the "Expert Village" site. Several are well worth a look. ;)

Check out the piano jazz syncopation vid, the experimental jazz vid, and the tutorial on how to play in 11/4.

:bag:

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    LOL. Now I can recognize 5/4 timing in just about any tune!

3. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    "2-3-4-5-2-3-4-5-2-3-4-5..."

:D

4. Dertygen

Dertygen

Dec 21, 2008
    A-Town, Colorado
    Um... that's not what he said:

"So when you're playing or writing or thinking in 5/4, it's really best to start out by thinking in your head and counting along in the count of 5; 1,2,3,4,5; 1,2,3,4,5.
    Some people prefer to count to 3 and then 2, which adds up to five. 1,2,3; 1,2; 1,2,3; 1,2; 1,2,3; 1,2"

5. Is it just me (or bad video) but does he switch to 4/4 for 1 measure in his demo?

6. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    wow, that's hilarious.

the 11/4 one is pretty great too, but at least he's actually playing in 11/4 on it.

He's so consistently wrong and bad that I think maybe he's spoofing on the fact that expertvillage is terrible.

7. He was playing in 4/4 for nearly all of the demo. I'm not sure what happened at the end though. Entertaining video - as are most of the Expert Village productions.

8. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Okay, I was exaggerating. But listen to what he plays rather than what he says. He does actually count 1-2-3-4-5, but the five is the first beat of the next 4/4 bar. Except at the end where the conflict causes him to lose it completely.

9. Dertygen

Dertygen

Dec 21, 2008
    A-Town, Colorado
    To the point I am a literalist! I was just quoting what he said.

What he plays I don't care.

Expert Village never has anything from... experts. :meh: