More pics of Fender Jaguar Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikkejohansson, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Anyone have any new pics of their (or others) Jaguar's? Specifically thinking of pics of them "in action", being played. I need a sense of how small the body is....

Funny, at first the Jag just struck me as an "odd bird" but it's been growing on me, and now I'm GAS-ing for the CAR model.....hmmmm.

Also started thinking of possible "mods" to it;

* Darkstar pickups (as seen in another thread - gorgeous!)

* Ashtrays, jazz-style - might be a nice look?

* Kent Armstrong Lipstick Tubes - to further augment the Lakland Jerry Scheff vibe...

Now, gotta go drool over those old pics again :D
  2. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    I am interested too...
  3. origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    here is me and my jag.

sizewise: i am 5'10, 195lbs... oh, the bass... it's near in size to a jazz, and the neck is very geddy thinish, but i think the jag feels faster.

improvements on the jag bass: a badass bridge, the stock bridge is not that good. maybe white covered pick-ups would help with the jaguar/jazzmaster look.

i actually like the passive pick-ups in my jag. i don't know if the jag was supposed to have them, but my jag stock pick-ups are not the same as the geddy (vintage jazz single coils), my jag has custom shop jazz, and they sound quite good, and are hotter and quiter than the stock pick-ups that were in my geddy.

the bass very versitile, and actually sounds best in passive mode, both pick-ups on, parellel. the series switch makes it much fatter/fuller, but a little undefined (my G&L was the same way). the active eq is a bit much, simular in sound to the active on 'marcus miller' bass (if anything), not the same sound as the active jazz deluxe where you can controll the mid.

the bass body is simular in size to a jazz bass, but it seems to feel a little different while standing up it off-sets different, can't quite describe it, a jazz feels a little more cozy both sitting and standing over the length of a set, but the jag has less fatigue.

i've gotten tons and tons of compliments on the bass, watch out.. it loves fingerprints.
  4. I was never much of a fan of the Jaguar - but I like that one, origami!
  5. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    The Jaguar Bass is the coolest-looking bass Fender ever made in my book. They need to make a lefty version, damnit! :mad:

origami, is yours at all neck heavy?
  6. labgnat

labgnat Banned

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    that's freaking sweet bass, all it needs is a tremolo
  7. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I'm not origami, but I have a Jag, and I don't find it neck heavy at all.
  8. origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    neck heavy/dive, a little.. not thunderbird, but a little.

i have an odd stance while playing. sort of a cross between bill wyman and simon gallup, and i like my bass neck to be almost halfway between horzontal and vertical and i twist my body to the right, so neck heavy basses don't bug me as much.

if you are someone who plays the bass up high and down low, this bass may not work.

i had a bassVI reissue and the tremelo/whammy bar was kinda cool, but i never really used it and it could reek havock on tuning. a big kayler trem on this bass might be a bit too much and take away the 60s vibe.

i do think white covered pick-ups would make the bass look more authentic.

the bass does need a different bridge. the bridge is slotted with small slots (like a guitar jag), and the strings can shift.

9. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Although there's a risk of it being a trifle bit "blingy", I think that overall, this would be very, VERY retro-cool!
  10. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    thanks origami. great looking bass!
  11. Cubeface

Apr 9, 2006
    My bass teacher has this crazy Fender Jaguar Bass:

(It's tuned and sounds like a normal bass)
  12. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Isnt that a guitar?
  13. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    A bass with string spacing so thin? And those look an awful lot like guitar pups?
  14. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    It's a bass, folks. Promise.
  15. si_fi

May 4, 2005
    London, England
    live video of the who - pino is playing a black fender jaguar...he doesn't get a heap of camera time, but you get some nice shots of it being played(&worn) from various angles.....and the great playing is a plus.
  16. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Really great tone in that video. It surprised me on the first note.

That 6 string jaguar still looks an awful lot like a guitar to me, thats a really weird design for a bass, small string spacing like that.. It almost seems like the spacing at the nut is the same than at the bridge. Is it a "pick only" bass?
  17. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch. Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    it's closer to a baritone guitar than a bass......
  18. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Maybe physically, with the 28.5" scale, but it comes standard tuned E-E, with the some low string as any four-string bass. That = bass.