1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

More Port Holes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OliverHumanzee, Apr 7, 2009.

1. I searched for a thread that discusses this and couldnt find any. I am trying to work with my current cab because I am a frugal boy. My fifteen seems like it is getting more power than it can handle, especially when i hit that low E. I have my eq rolled back at the 40 and as volume goes back i have to roll off my 100! The speaker starts farting and there is tons of air blowing out the two bottom holes. What will drilling a couple more port holes above the speaker do for me. Could I push the speaker a little harder?

2. Hi.

What drilling holes to a ported cab will do is to completely whack it out of tuning.

DON'T DO IT

If You know (or can find) the TS specs for the driver, You can model it in WinISD or in a similar program to change the tuning a bit. You don't get any big improvements that way and definately not more low end power handling. The speaker simply runs out of excursion, nothing can be done to improve that.

Just my 0.02€
    Sam

3. VisualShock

VisualShock

Feb 19, 2008
    North Wales
    is it a combo, or a seperate head and cab? are you overpowering the cab with regards to wattage? does this happen when your EQ is set to flat?

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Ruin the speaker.

That's your speaker's way of telling you that you're pushing it too hard. The next warning sign will be magic smoke and the sounds of silence. :confused:
    Add another cab.

5. It is not an ideal cab. Its the remains of an ashdown five fifteen combo.
    As far as7 band eq I have the mids dropped the highs bosted a touch and the super lows dropped and my 100 frequency range adjusted to volume and speaker fartiness.

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    If your speaker is "farting" it's giving more than it can give. If you continue doing what you are doing the speaker will be destroyed. The problem with combos is that generally they a a series of compromises between what the speaker needs, what the amp needs and what "looks good". The only way you can get possibly more out of that speaker is to put it in a more suitable enclosure. Trouble with that is that you need to know all the TS specs of the speaker which are unpublished. Drilling out more ports in an ad hoc way will just speed the speakers demise.

As Bill advises the best thing to do is add another cabinet if you can without going below the minimum impedance limit for your amplifier. What happened to the amp that was in the combo???

Paul

7. It died. It does not turn on anymore. It was not powerful enough and one day when power to 9 it died trying to keep up. I'm still better off than before with my peavey head. Oh well. I will just have to get some cabs. I will scower craigs list when I can justify spending more.