Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

more portable rig advice...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Aug 21, 2002.

1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    currently have a 4 space rack filled with cream:

QSC PLX 2402
    Aguilar DB659
    Lexicon MPX500

and a Bergantino HT212.

TOTALLY HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

however, as every G.A.S. Station Attendant knows, MORE STUFF IS REQUIRED!

plus, i'd like a smaller rig/cab/combo for less intense gigs/rehearsals.

i've toyed with the idea of getting a Bergantino HT112 for my current rack.

OR...

get a killer combo.

thoughts?

what's a really smokin' combo?

what i'm not interested in:

SWR, GK, AMPEG, HARTKE...

i'm playing a Zon Lightwave 5 string fretless and a Roland V-Bass.

thanks in advance!

fred

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Get the baby Bergie Fred........but they like juice:D
    E-mail me if you have any questions, I just finished my "smaller" rig a couple weeks back.

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Why don't you check out the Euphonic Audio iAMP combo? It is pretty amazing! You can carry it in one hand, and the bass in the other. EA's have a super hi-fi sound. Smooth and accurate. A great sounding amp.

An amp that I used to have, and maybe one day will have again(if I don't get the iAMP), is the SWR Baby Blue II. I know you specified you weren't interested in SWR, but this is a serious piece of equipment. It is a pure hi-fi sounding unit based on studio monitors. They sound absolutely fantastic. Really bringing out the natural tone of your bass. I really like having a pre-amp tube(s) in my amps to warm up the tone. The Baby Blue is a very accurate amp, though it is not very loud.

Just some other opinions if you don't feel like lugging your rack all of the time!

4. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    Jerry, yeah, you know i love the Bergies.

Ajbassking: the iAmp is my other consideration. not a big SWR fan anymore. ALTHOUGH i thought the new BLACK BEAUTY was REALLY NICE!!!!

the iAmp may be a great partner for the V-Bass and my Lightwave.

you know the street price?

EBay sure is my friend lately, just sold 5 zappa lps for almost $600!!!!

fred

5. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Joe Zon actually recomended me EA to go with the Lightwave because of EA's faithful reproduction of the bass without coloration. Lightwave pickups are already so true to the bass, why color it up. I didn't have the funds or the wattage required to get one of these babies, but I like what I have now.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Hey fred, have you tried your LW through an Ampeg B-100R combo? At 65lb. it's not exactly a lightweight but the sound is very sweet.

I concur on the EA suggestion... most amazing sound with my fretlesses yet.

7. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I had an Ampeg SVT Classic for a long time, but it was just way too ridiculous for smaller gigs (and dear god, for the jazz gigs it was just stupid. :D)

I sold it and now use the following:

4 space rack with:
    Ashdown RPM1 (the Entwistle sig. model)
    Mackie 1400i power amp

Speaker cabs:
    2 Bag End S-15D cabs
    1 Bag End S-18D cab

I can bring whatever the gig requires and I always have the same sound. 1 15" cab and the rack works for small stuff. The 2 15" cabs work for 90% of the clubs and for outdoor venues and big-ass clubs I'll bring the 18 along (with the 15's) for that extra lowend hugeness.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    couldnt agree more...

amazing how that little 1x10 w/ the right porting can do wonders for a low B. add another 1x10, and that'd be a KICKIN' combo.

Yea, baby Yea!!!!!!

but for something so small, its pretty hefty @ 55 lbs. for one hand carrying. prolly about as much as your rack alone. if it had some luggage wheels and a collapsible handle, now that would be cool. but i guess a nice photography cart would serve you well, too.

but on the other end of the spectrum, if you just want a cheapie solution that isnt half bad, try a GK M150E. i actually like 'em alot. very versatile, and has an XLR out for the PA, if you need more volume. low B is ok, but for its super lightweight package, its a very surprising lil' guy.

FYI, i'm not too happy with the way my Berg HT112 handles the low B. it was very articulate and detailed, but doesnt have the punch or authority my Aguilar 1x12 and especially my new Acme have. also, the Aggie makes any amp dark sounding, but it could just be the ticket for your rack setup. aint nothin' like an aggie piggybackin' another aggie.

9. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    after all this...

i decided...

to buy....

A DIGITAL PIANO!!!!!!!!!

hope it handles the low B ok.

f

10. This would help in the iAMP portability department.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    LMAO! :D

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
  13. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i have that exact same hand truck.

great design!!!

fred

14. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    that thing looks pretty cool.

hmmmmmm...

played through a bunch of combos today.

ampeg has a mini 12...but at $475..i'd rather have the Bergie.

the Hartke Kickback 15 impressed me the most. played a Peavey Millenium 5 fretted through it.

NICE BASS!!!!! liked it better than the Cirrususssesss they had there.

who the heck knows what i'll do.

the v-bass is a keeper though.

f

15. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    my issues with the Baby Blue are:

1. low power.

2. 10" speaker

but, if the Hartke 150 watt kickback can deliver, i can imagine the Baby Blue could too.

i've seen them online for around $750.

wow, that's amazing. i think chordal work on bass is mmmm mmmmmm good.

thanks for sharing.

what melodies did you play?

sorry to hear about the Clarus.

f

16. If you're looking for a combo you have to try the Ampeg B-100R. I don't know much about Eden combos but I know Eden gets good lows. So you could try out an Eden combo. Good luck.

17. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i've tried it....not quite what i'm looking for.

i abandoned Eden a while back. the WT400 ultimately gave me a REALLY bad taste in my bottom end.

thanks
    fred

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  19. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I am actually interested in the 2x8" and 5" version of the Baby Blue. The 2x8" handles the low B much better, and I feel it has a much better tone.

The Baby Blue head is amazing! It has so many features. It has an XLR out with ground lift, which you can use either in line or direct mode with a level control. You can also use the headphones out while recording to bring out more bass. It has an effects loop, tuner in, unbalanced line out, and extension speaker out. It is pretty cool, but as you say it is not loud. Though, I cranked it in Steve's music yesterday, and it shook the walls quite nicely!:)

I ended up playing a few Jazz standards solo yestereday. Like Blue in Green, My Funny Valentine, Autumn leaves...etc. Melodies that are fairly simple to create a chord melody to. I love the sound of bass chords. :)

20. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    anyone play through a Hughes & Kettner XXL Combo Bass Amp?

300W, 8 Ohm, Hughes & Kettner Custom Speaker, Dynaclip, HF Horn switchable, 4-fach EQ-Matrix, 3-Band EQ with param. mids

sounds nice.

f