more power or more speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aenema, Aug 4, 2001.

1. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    ok lets say i have an eden 210xlt running at 200 watts. what if i take the same amp and ran 2 eden 210xlt's 200 watts total? not considering ohms here would i get more volume?
  2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    If you double the ammount of speakers you will have an inmediate 3db Increase.
    If the cabs are underpowered, you could easily damage them because of Power Amp clipping.
    Also, you have to match the impedance.
  3. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    More speakers will give you more "presence" ( this sort of gives you the illusion that you are much louder) and more tone but it's like Luis said.
  4. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    so as long as my amp isnt clipping im ok right?
  5. You can drive your amp into clipping no matter how many speakers are connected. Clipping is especially dangerous to high frequency units such as horns.

As long as impedance is controlled, and your back doesn't object, more speakers is better.
  6. Like Luis said, you get an immediate increase of 3 dB, if you stack the cabs (or put them close next to each other)

This is the same as you would get from an amp with twice the power.

You said yourself, not considering ohms. If you do consider impedance, going from an 8 ohms cab to 2 8 ohms cabs, in other words to 4 ohms total load, you get an additional increase 1.5 to 2 dB (30-50% more amp power). Of course, same for going from one 4 ohms cab to 2. Make sure the amp can handle the load. But if I'm not mistaken, Edens run at 2 ohms smoothly.
  7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    This is often said, but it just isn't true. In a real sense, there's no such thing as underpowering a speaker. As I think MikeyD said, a speaker is quite happy with just 1 watt--in fact, that's how sensitivity is usually measured, 1 W @ 1 m. Using, say, a 200 W amp with speakers that can handle 800 will not hurt the amp one bit, as long as impedance is appropriate. If the load is OK, speakers don't cause an amp to clip. Only you, the user, can do that, and you do it very simply by turning the amp up too high or giving it too hot a signal.

What causes an amp to clip is if you're underpowered *for your gig*. If you need 800 W to get the stage volume you want in a particular setting, and you're trying to get that volume with a 200 W amp, you'll turn it up too high and clip, and you'll do this whether your cab is rated for 100 watts, 300, 600, or 800 (assuming these cabs are equally efficient).

In other words, it has nothing at all to do with the number of speakers or cabs you have or with their power handling capacity. It's a question of (a) how much clean power you have available to you and (b) how much acoustic output your speaker or speakers can give you with that amount of power. If you can't get loud enough with the gear you have, but you keep turning up in an effort to do so, you'll most likely cause the amp to clip regardless of your amp's power rating, your speaker's power handling, or the ratio between the two.