More Power...Urr urr urr

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tufnuts, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Hey all. I just put in an order for a PLX 1602 at Life Effects nice people, great prices.

I HAD to! :D Two of my friends just bought Crown poweramps. So I had to go for more power and half the weight. Should be here the 18th or 19th. I don't know of any other bass players in town that use more amp than that. It'll be going w/ my SVP-pro, Furman PL-plus and BBE 362. I'm thinking about just getting a 12 space rack for some drawer space and possibly some more rack gear (Compressor, maybe a cool rack light).

I might just roll my own case, I have some 12 space rack rails and a local composites house that makes lightweight aluminum - epoxy/1550 cloth panels. I might score some from them and build a lightweight rack that's way way way to strong (winds up being 4 times stiffer, and 6 times stronger than mild steel....think 1022). Maybe build in the casters.

But I'm still gonna have the PLX no matter what.
  2. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    sweet man, let us know how that custom rack case comes out ;) I'm planning on building one the easy way, out of heavy-ass WOOD over winter break in two weeks.

and yes, I know what you mean. It does feel good to not know any bass players with a bigger amp. makes me feel like more of a man...
  3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Good move. I recently picked up a 1602 and it really seems to like being driven by the SVP. Nice match.
  4. 3

I saw quite a few TB's w/ 1602 and 2402s with their SVP's. Figured a good thing, never heard a negative.
  5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Now that I think about it, I don't think I've heard a single significant negative about QSC amps. Maybe the MX and RMX series being heavy, but that's about it.
  6. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Does anyone know if there are any major differences between the PLX1602 and the RMX1450 (excluding price, weight and 200 watts :D)?

To save $300 I'd be willing to carry a bit more :)
  7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    For one the PLX series is made in the U.S.A., while the RMX series is made overseas. Don't know if that affects quality at all though. I believe the PLX series is a little better at doing the "what goes in is what goes out". I'm sure Bob Lee will be along in a bit to correct me if I'm wrong.:D
  8. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Lemme' know how that custom rack build comes out. I am considering the exact same thing. A large rack, probably 21 space with casters on it and because I don't have 6-700 bucks lying around I want to build one. It'll help to know how yours turns out.
  9. No prob, It'll probably be a couple months before anything gets started though. I'll have to get the materials (I'm trying to score em very cheap). This is in preperation to be playing out this coming spring, so I'm gearing up.
  10. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Better watch out Dave, I think that Rickbass is looking at a PLX3202 to hook his new Aguilar preamp to. Sounds like there might be some earth tremors eminating from central Kansas.

I've got the 1602 and the 2402....more power...more power. I just love these PLX's.
  11. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL

Check this thread out for differences between the RMX and PLX:

12. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Sounds like somebody oughta build and market rack cases made out of this stuff! Hell, you've even got a great name - Tufnuts Rack Cases, Inc. Where can I order mine? ;)
  13. "I only trust my gear to

Tuffnuts cases...."

Has a nice ring to it.
  14. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yes, please let me know how the custom racks turn out. I'm currently sketching designs for one but I'm outsmarting myself I think. I want it to be fully floating (have you guys seen how expensive they are in the stores?) but my amp vents on the side. Which means I can't pack the side with padding which means it won't be fully floating...gggrrrrrrrr....
  15. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    That honestly is a really cool name for cases. Think about it.....:D
  16. Man, I'm already stretched pretty thin lol. Still working on that Buttkicker Drummer's throne thingy when I have time. Then I'll jump on the cases thingy. I really should do that now!

Oh work! If I told you all the things that I have to get done in 4 months, your melon would pop! But it it cool biker stuff :D With any luck, you'll see some stuff of mine on the cover of cycle world!
  17. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    <smiling> with a job like yours, I don't know why you'de even need a hobby. Nice bikes!
  18. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Thank you for doing that. ;)
  19. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan

instead of using foam you could use springs... that would make the case fully floating, and still allow air to vent through the side. or i am i wrong? Thats what Im thinking about, you can buy heavy duty springs for a couple bucks a piece at home depot, figure ill probably need 8 of em. (one on each corner of a cubic shaped metal rack frame, mounted in a wooden box)
  20. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    hmmmmmmmm........ the ideas are flowing now. I'll look at the springs. But you're right - if the 8 corners are floating, technically the whole rack is fully floating regardless of wether I use springs or foam........... food for thought ...........