Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More Power

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jondog, Aug 3, 2002.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Will I get more power out of my Sunn head if I replace the the 6550s with KT88s?

If I change tube types, do I need to have a tech rebias the amp? What if I just get a different brand of 6550?

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I don't think they are failing, but they're 8 years old and I play almost every week. I just was thinking about getting a spare set in case they go. I was also thinking I could see if there was a difference in tone. I've only had the original tubes that came when I bought it, and the Sovteks in it now.

The KT88s seem to cost more than the 6550s, and I'm wondering if they're worth it.

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    20 years! Then I'm not going to worry about it. I gigged this Sunn w/out a backup for years, and I was always a little worried about a tube going. Now I gig a louder solid state power amp, also with no backup, but it's overkill for smaller rooms so I'm thinking about bringing my Sorado back out. No I don't have a tester.

How much more power did you get? . . . If the KT88s made my tube head a lot louder, maybe I could use it for some of the medium rooms too. How can I tell if my power supply can provide more voltage? Thanks!

4. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Huh. Thanks for the schematic. I guess I was assuming they were 6550s, because that's what's listed on the tube location chart that came with it. I didn't ask when I had the Sovteks put in. Looking at them now, there are no markings on them. How do I tell what is really in there?