1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

More Power!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DerrickShaney, Aug 21, 2012.

1. DerrickShaney

DerrickShaney

Jun 18, 2011
    St.Cloud MN
    That's right folks, you can call me Tim Taylor...

Here is my story. I recently purchased an Ampeg Micro VR Mini Stack. The amp sounds great but the 1 cab was not doing it. Just not enough oompf. So I bought a 2nd cab... It was working for a while in the small jam room with electronic drums but we recently moved to a large basement and have a full drum set.

This amp is farting out on me especially when I play the E string. It just sounds like garbage even if I crank both the volume and gain knobs. It is just not cutting it. I need something with more power. I am not sure if upgrading my cabs to a larger unit would do the trick or if I just need to get a new amp all together.

I really like Ampeg, the tone is great but like I said I just need a little more. Recommendations?

Thanks everybody!!

2. I'm not surprised it sounds harsh with everything maxed.

Cut the low bass. Stack it vertically in the corner.

3. DerrickShaney

DerrickShaney

Jun 18, 2011
    St.Cloud MN
    It does not have enough volume I have tried every configuration. There is just not enough power with those 2 cabs...

4. But did you try lowering the EQ of the low bass?

4 tens in a rehearsal space is loud. You have to be up against other issues.

5. DerrickShaney

DerrickShaney

Jun 18, 2011
    St.Cloud MN
    Do you mean turning the bass down on the EQ on the amp head? I did try that and it still stalls out on me unfortunately...

6. Any chance yours is from the original batch that did nasty things with two cabs plugged in? Look up Fenderhutz's epic thread.

7. DerrickShaney

DerrickShaney

Jun 18, 2011
    St.Cloud MN
    I had a feeling that might have been the case hearing about that... I thought that maybe I was lucky and it wasn't the deal but after tonight's practice I am having second thoughts... Thanks!

8. DerrickShaney

DerrickShaney

Jun 18, 2011
    St.Cloud MN
    Would this head work with a bigger cab... for instance a 6x10 or something. How much headroom would that give me volume wise. Enough to keep up with with my guitarists Fender Twin Reverb and and loud drummer?

9. Each time you double the number of speakers you get 3dB extra sensitivity which equates to doubling the power. If you can double the power as well, something I don't believe the microVR does, then you get another 3dB for the power doubling.

Long story short, it takes a whole lot more rig to get a lot louder than 200W into two 2x10. +3dB is about the least you can notice as significantly louder. +10dB is twice as loud, takes 10x power.

What you're talking about is a nuclear scale upgrade to play rehearsals. I'm saying something is up with your rig or the room acoustics that what you have isn't cutting it.

If your amp is having impedance issues with the Ampeg 2x10 cabs, Ampeg will fix it for you. JimmyM had same problem and amp worked fine with other cabs. Sideways mounted 10's have crappy dispersion though.

Make sure the guitar player puts his cab up on a table and / or tilts it back so it slams his own ears. Then he will turn down some and the drummer won't have to hit so hard to hear his own cymbals.

10. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    On bottom E!!?

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I love the Micro VR and just used my Micro VR and two 210av's on a gig tonight with no PA and I had plenty of room to spare. But it's not meant to be a super loud rig. It's plenty loud for me, but the head doesn't put out a lot of power and the cabs can't take a whole lot of power. But having cranked it many times, I can only imagine how insanely loud you guys must be in that room ;) It's not a quiet rig. I can see where it might not be enough for some, though. On a gig. Not so much at practice.

Anyway, if you're not doing it already, stack the cabs on top of each other. Won't get you louder but gets a cab closer to your ear. Otherwise, it is what it is.

12. I've heard of big acts using the Micro VR on top of 810's when their SVT gave trouble, so I'm sure given enough speakers you should be able to hear yourself, but at the same time, that small headonly has so much power to distribute between increasing numbers of speakers... eventually you get to a point where you can't drive the speakers optimally even though the head is dimed

13. I'm not hating on the Micro VR or anything but i don't understand why everyone is saying that should be enough power? 200 Watts is not a loud head and correct me if i'm wrong.... I'm pretty sure the micro was not made for band scenarios. Fender twin guitar amps can be loud and I imagine the guitar player isn't even up half way. Also, dimming your amp to be heard all the time is the quickest way to destroy your rig. My advice would be to get at least an 800 watt head of your choosing and a good cab that can take it. I'm not going to push you towards any brands or set ups. Its nice to play with a band and be heard and know your only on 4 and have enough power on tap in case you need it. And your amp will love you for it. Just a suggestion. If your into Ampegs i see 4-pros go used all the time between 500-800.

14. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    The SVT is 'only' 300w. The main point being, watts aren't what makes loudness.

15. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If everything is working up to potential with no faults, it should be enough. That said, no little toy ministack will keep up with a Twin Reverb used to it's potential and a bashing drummer.

Which is a lot more than is needed in anyones basement. After a point, you just plain over-run the room. At that point, turning anything up makes it harder to hear, not easier.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    How loud do you need to be at a rehearsal? That's just asking to go deaf.

17. Try wearing some decent ear plugs, they tend to roll off more of the highs than the lows allowing you to hear your bass better through the guitar and cymbals

18. Sheeesh, I can't play with drums with a 2x10 without needing earplugs. If I don't use them I get the ringing.

19. Bass Unique

Bass Unique

Nov 3, 2011
    Wiltshire
    Your room may be causing a suck out (cancellation) at an anti room mode which takes away the low end significantly encouraging you to turn up the bass and the cones then fart out.

If you are to use this room for the forseeable future, I would perform some tests on the room and some basic calcs. Measure the dimensions of the room so that the primary modes can be calculated and then see if these are notes which dissappear on your bass exactly halfway between the calculated modes.

Use V=F x Lambda to calculate wavelength and the room will support 1/2 wavelength and odd multiples. (V is 340 m/s and F is the frequency)

Obviouly, if this is not the problem, you need a monster rig and you guys just play too loud. I ran a test in a rehearsal when we used some acoustic screens around the drummer (ro prevent so much noise getting to others and the acoustic lining tends to prevent bounce back at the drummer), then get your guitarists to place their cabs in the centre of the room facing themselves. This will allow them to hear each other much more clearly without fighting for volume which would happen if you place them at your feet facing each other.

I achieved a measured -6 dBA (which equates to a quarter of the hearing damage risk and power required on your rigs) without anyone noticing it was much quieter, people ears no longer were ringing and the quality was much better since the amps are working less hard.

i would still keep your bass amp by a wall or corner to get some re-inforcement but make sure you are on axis as much as possible to you can hear it.

If this does not work and you have tried the room tests and it is not a suck out, then your amp is faulty or your band is playing stupid loud which is never going to sound nice!

20. I'm still saying just get a louder amp. I run mine at 4 and never have any problems being heard. I also agree with the ear plug statement. They kill the high and make i easier to pick out the bass.