1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

More praise for the Zoom B-3 pedal/preamp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jimfist, Mar 24, 2014.

1. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I had the opportunity to try out a different rig this past Friday night using the Zoom B-3 as the sole preamp/effects, and plugging into a Crown xti4002 (one side at 4 ohms) powering a pair of (don't laugh) Seismic 15" coaxial wedges (passive crossover mode) stacked one atop the other.

[ http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/sax-15m-pair/p/SAX-15M-Pair#.UzBav_ldVik ]

Long story short - I was pleasantly surprised how this rig performed and sounded. Full, fat, tight, punchy and clear, and carried the room easily from all reports (about 150 capacity, SRO). I find the tools within the B-3 to be very useful and effective, and fit perfectly well within the context of a full rock band format playing a lot of current and classic hard rock. Amongst my favorite effects is the fretless bass emulator. My B-3 preset was Fretless emulator ---> Dual Comp ---> SWR Bass amp model, with the Fretless being switched in and out as needed.

I will also say that the Crown power amp most likely made all of the difference in this rig, allowing for a lot of clean headroom and limiting protection processing. It's not a cheap amp (around $800+/- US). But the B-3 and Seismic speakers are fairly low-budget items, comparatively. Here's chalking up another win for modeling technology with a full-range stage amp rig.