more punch- 8 or 10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Casey C., Jul 14, 2002.

1. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    which speaker size would have more punch? 8 or 10? I'm not worried about bass because I have a 15 incher for the bass.
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Depends on how many of each you have. I'm going to vote ten, though.
  3. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I actually get a ton of punch out of my rig, the two Cerwin-Vega V152s (15 inch woofer, 10 inch aluminum tweeter each).

Personally, I think the biggest factor in deciding punch is the bass and electronics. I just get plenty of punch out of my 15s.
  4. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    smaller speakers move more quickly. But in the end, it's all a matter of surface area. 8x10 gives you the most cone, but 8x8 will work if you need something lighter.
  5. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    well, lets say 2x10 vs. 2x8. Which would give more punch? Which would sound better paired with the 1x15? I think I will be buying the speakers from carvin. The rig will probably be bi-amped.
  6. If the cabinet your talking about is the Cyclops cabinet I'll give you my experience with it. It is a fine cabinet. What I found out is in the bi-amp mode the 15 was doing most of the work. The two 8's just sat there most of the time waiting for me to hit the occasional high notes. I never used the cabinet in the full range mode because I feel like the 8's will not handle all the power. Don't get me wrong it's still a great sounding cabinet. I got lucky and bought a RC210 cabinet from Bassmonkee here in Atlanta. I turn the Cyclops cabinet on its side and plug into the 15 and set the 2-10 cabinet on top and run it full range. Not bridged so I can control the volume of each cabinet separately. It's a mean looking rig that sounds great. I guess to answer you question if I had to do it over again I would get the RC210 and add a 4ohm 15 cabinet. The 2-10's sound much better than the 2-8's.
  7. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    sorry man, I was talking about the acuall speakers from carvin. My cousin is gonna give me a empty cab that he used in his car. I was gonna tweek the box to fit either 10s or 8s. I think it's a 210 box. if i was going to do this bi-amped I would make sure the 8's would get as much as they could handle.
  8. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    8's definitely move faster, but i doubt a 2x8 would put out enough volume to compete with your 1x15 properly. a nice 2x10 cab would be mucho better, volume wise, and compliment wise.
  9. 44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    The frequency where 8’s and 10’s roll off is above the range that significantly effects punch. I think of 8’s as allowing a bit smoother transition to the tweeter. Punch is effected much more by the way the cabinet is tuned. Since you are starting with a particular cabinet volume, the key thing is to get speakers that are designed for what you have. This is much more important than whether they are 8's or 10's. It is likely that you will also have to adjust the vent length.