more punch out of aggie 112's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scott Lynch, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

I love the sound of my pair of aggie 112's except for one thing: they just don't cut enough. The low end is nice, the tweeter is nice, but the mids just don't do it for me. I run a Bass 350 into them with the mids at about 1 o'clock at 400 hz. at practice today i put the mids at 2o'clock at 250 hz and found that to be better, but it still doesn't cut enpugh for my taste. Any opinions/recommendations?
  2. geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    I'm inclined to say that this is just the nature of 12 inch drivers in general. Less punchy. I love the idea of those smaller aggies, but can't give up the sound of a pair of 10s(especially with another set of 10s)
  3. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    I went through the same thing with my GS112. I ended up selling mine and got an Euphonic Audio cab. Tons of cut and sounds sweet!
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    also, depends on where you're standing. if its low, where the sound is mostly hitting your knees, its hitting your knees! usually, standing at least 5 ft. of any cab allows you to hear it better.
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    here's the deal
    aggies 12s don't have a lot of mids, ergo they dont cut really well w/o some eq adjustments. It's not that they're bad cabinets, they were just designed with a specific sound in mind. aguilars were designed to get a good solid low end out of a small box, very nyc bassist friendly. If i use mine alone i boost mids and sometimes even cut the lows a bit - it helps that you have a variable midrange control to find just the right spot to boost. Try boosting higher mids next time, (i forget how high the 350's mid control goes, but sometimes 1.5k - 2.5 k works wonders). Most of the time i pair mine up with a bag end 112 which is exactly the opposite tonally - a real midrange monster, but shy in the lows. The aguilar 112 sound has nothing to do with them being 12" drivers - try telling me that bag end, epifani, or bergantino 12s (to name a few) don't cut thru and arent punchy - in a lot of cases those cabs cut and punch (gee, i'm starting to sound like a street fighter :p ), better than a lot of 210s
  6. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I have to agree with jokers post. The aggies tend to throw a the sound you are hearing when you are right by your amp while it is at your feet probably is not what people are hearing out front. I have had people tell me that I am actually kind of loud and really cutting through (smaller venues, mind you), but I thought that I was too quiet. Try positioning yourself or your amp differently.
  7. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

i put the cabs sideways, one on top of the other, so they're as elevated as possible. i stand right in front of them, so it is possible that what i hear is different from what my bandmates are hearing. I had the master volume only at about 11 o'clock and my guitarist (who's across the room) found me to be too loud, even though it didn't seem loud to my ears. Maybe I should consider selling one of the aggies for a 210 or other cab? What would be a good match? How would an LDS 2x8 or 3x8 sound on top of one of these bad boys?
  8. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    Heh, I always end up saying this, but I absolutely love the tone of my aggie gs112 and gs210 paired. You have all of the mid punch and highs (and good lows too on its own) of the 210, and the insane bottom of the 112. Food for thought... :bassist:
  9. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    NO!!! Shutup!!! just when I'm settled on getting two of those. So now it's back to considering 210's. I think I'm just getting a avatar 12er and a 210er and staying off the forums. ;)
  10. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    +1. I originally used (2) GS112s. I now use a GS210 and a GS112. My guitarist is always asking me to turn down. Heh, heh,heh... :D
  11. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I get plenty of volume, cut and punch out of my Bergs, so I don't think it is an issue with 12s (no offense Geoffzilla) - I usually boost mids a bit at 400hz. :cool: Everything I hear about the GS112s is that they are a bit mid-scooped...
  12. I love what I've got now, which is an Aguilar GS 112 and a Bergantino EX 112. There's plenty of midrange punch from the Berg, while the Aguilar fills out the low end. That being said, the Bergantino is my main cabinet, and I think it has plenty of low end as well, but the Aguilar is still a nice cabinet with a warm sound.