Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More questions about the RBI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xJasonSmithx, Jan 2, 2004.

1. xJasonSmithx

xJasonSmithx Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    i finnaly have one on the way and im pretty excited. i know there have been a billion posts about the RBI but these are a few questions i havent found using the search feature;

1. Is it better to run a speaker cable from the RBI to a power amp or amp or just use an instrument cable?

2. right now i have a peavey firebass head. and im running a BDDI between my sr5 bass and my input jack. should i run my RBI into the effects loop and plug into it or still plug into my input on the head?

i really wanna trade my firebass head for a power amp so i can just rack it all together.
    i guess my last question is

3. do you think i will be happier w/ a good poweramp as opposed to the firebass head in my signal chain. im not really using too much of the eq on the head now, im more realying on the BDDI for that. so i think if i switched to the RBI and a poweramp i would be happier.

Thanks,
    Jason Smith

2. 1. Never use a speaker cable from preamp to power amp. Use an instrument cable.

2. You could run the RBI into power amp in on the firebass. This would bypass the Peavey preamp...the RBi would be the preamp, the firebass would become a power amp. I think you can do this with the efx loop too, but I can't recall how that's done.

3. Only you will know what gear you are happier with. But like I said, you can bypass the preamp on the firebass so maybe that will work for now. The firebass has plenty of power.

3. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Use an instrument cable for linking everything together.. only time you want a speaker cable is for going to the cab..

I use a fender bxr 300 for my power amp, and the rbi for my preamp. I plug my bass into the rbi (i use the rear input because the -10db swith comes in handy sometimes).. I run a cable from the 1/4" effected send of the rbi to the poweramp in of the bxr... this bypasses the preamp of the bxr and I think the RBI sounds best this way.

4. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    For the past few weeks i've been running my RBI into my Bassman 200 in a similar way. I just take the sansamp out to the effects return. Like it has been said-this bypasses the internal pre amp and goes straight to the power amp. I like it. Only a few more days till my cab comes in and then i'm done [for the most part] with the bassman 200 :D