1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

More Rare Than I Thought?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peeks, May 16, 2019.

1. Peeks

Peeks

May 16, 2019
    First off, I’d like to start this out by saying I’m new here, so hello everyone! And also by saying I’m new to the bass community all together. I’m a huge gearhead (have always been. I played guitar for many years and am now stepping into the bass world).
    I acquired a Squier Jazz Bass for an Epiphone Wildkat last fall, played the piss out that, won a contest, and used that money to upgrade my bass. I went to my local music store and decided what to buy. I had $2000, so nothing was truly out of question. The store is a Fender dealer, so I saw mainly Jazz and Percision Basses with a couple Jaguars mixed in... LOTS of MIMs... then the American Professionals and high end models... and then, I saw The One... hanging in the corner among the Americans, was a candy apple red Jazz Bass with block inlays, painted headstock, pickup and bridge covers... I grabbed it off the wall out and looked at the tag. ‘Used Fender Special Edition Jazz Bass - Hard Case Included - All Original Case Candy - $1449.99’. It had some dings and scratches around the edges, but nothing serious. I flip it over to check out the back. Engraved right on the neck plate: “50th Anniversary”.
    I didn’t even plug it in (kind of stupid, but oh well!) and brought it over to the counter and purchased it.
    Once I got it home, I dug into the case candy and the first thing I read was the pamphlet describing the model, the 50th Anniversary Jazz Bass. I knew what I had just bought was limited edition and ‘rare’ since I was unable to come across any others for sale online, but just HOW rare is this bass? And what’s its worth nowadays?
    1BD17E0C-65B1-4FED-A075-2D970EA9F1BA.jpeg

2. I don't know what it's worth, but it's nice!

Good luck with it.

Mike

3. Peeks

Peeks

May 16, 2019
    Thanks! I don’t plan to move it anytime soon, but perhaps down the road if the value is there!

4. guitarflinger

guitarflinger Not all who wander are lost Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Front Range, Colorado
    Sweet!

Welcome to Talkbass

BrentSimons, allenhumble and Peeks like this.
  5. Peeks

Peeks

May 16, 2019
    Thanks man!

6. Goatee220, Real Soon, G19Tony and 8 others like this.
  7. Peeks

Peeks

May 16, 2019
    btmpancake likes this.
  8. Peeks

Peeks

May 16, 2019
    I see that his is in a bit better shape than mine as well, but if that’s what they’re going for only 9 years after they were introduced... imagine what the future may bring...

Goatee220, Spidey2112 and shadven like this.
  9. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

right place, right time, right price...how could you resist?
    Some things just happen. :)

Cardsfan_69 and Peeks like this.
  10. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    hi Peeks :)

Welcome to TB!!!

[​IMG]

:D!!!!!!

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

Joedog, Spidey2112, JC Nelson and 3 others like this.
  11. B-Mac

What does the back of the headstock actually show? Or the neck plate? Does it indicate # of 500? or does it have an 'ordinay' serial number? Just asking as some things were pointed out in this previous thread.
    Fender 1996 50th Anniversary Jazz Bass

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Spidey2112, jackn1202 and Peeks like this.
  12. B-Mac

Whatever it is it is a :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool: machine :)

13. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Very nice bass. Good find.
    A friendly suggestion to help you avoid the wrath of the mods, you have to be a supporting member to discuss prices and values.

14. Peeks

Peeks

May 16, 2019
    Ahhh gotcha... thanks for the heads up!

Spidey2112 and Gravedigger Dav like this.
  15. jasonmatthews

jasonmatthews

Jul 10, 2016
    Atlanta, GA
    I think the guy asking for $5000 is going to be asking for a while. These were $2000 when they were new, and street price used is right around $1500. One sold on here for $1299 three years ago. I'd say what you paid is pretty reasonable. I'd bet you could sell it for a touch more.

One very important note... it's a nitro finish, body and headstock, so BE CAREFUL with stands and such... some can eat away the finish.

punchdrunk, gorneyg, RiZzBot and 15 others like this.
  16. Peeks

Peeks

May 16, 2019
    Thanks for that info! That was the only problem with the one listed for $5000 on Reverb. I may just keep it in the case while not using it!

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  17. Peeks

Peeks

May 16, 2019
    I’ll definitely look into that when I get home later! Never even thought to look! Shows my intelligence!

18. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    Spidey2112, lfmn16, SirMjac28 and 2 others like this.
  19. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Suspended Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Well I'll be a suck egg mule!!!

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021