Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More research & more confusion on effects send

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Highpines, Jan 11, 2005.

1. I did search and read alot of posts here but am still confused. After doing home based recording for the past year I was called back to do some live playing. I'm using a Hartke A100 for practice and small gigs, I also have a TPS II tube preamp a dbx 266XL and a T.C electronics processor.
    I read here that because these are line level signals and not instrument that I have to run them thru the effects loop on the back of my amp? I was going to just chain them together and plug into the imput on my amp but now not sure what to do. I'm sorry if this is lame but I guess I've been in recording mode for way to long..........
    Thanx for any help....Dale

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    The only real answer to this is do it both ways and see which one you like best.

Most people are adamant on this board that delay pedals should go in your loop, I personally like it at the end of my singla chain, before the amp. Its pretty much personal preference :)

3. Thanx ...... I agree with you, but I guess my main concern was.... can I use either the effects loop on the back of the amp or the input on the front to run my rack thru without worring about damaging anything. I'm not worried about the order the effects, I got that figured. That post about rack effects having to be sent thru the effects send because they are a line level signal got me thinking to much I guess.........Sorry

4. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    Line level vs. instrument level signals should not damage anything. Sometimes if u use a line-level rack device with an instrument-level signal (like most rack EQ's), you may pick up some extra noise and the device may not function at its best. But nothing should be damaged.

5. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Being as you have the TPS tube pre I would go out of that into your dbx, then into the T.C. and then into the effects input on your amp.

Why you may ask. Well this is my reasoning; The point of a pre amp is to boost your instrument to line level. Most likely the TPS is nicer than the pre in the Hartke, so use it. However I don't think your Hartke pre amp would be happy if you hit it with a line level signal, it wants instrument level. So why the effects input? Because it is probobly the only line level input you have on your amp. By doing this you should be bypassing the Preamp in the Hartke, unfortunatley if it has any eq or such you will probobly be bypassing that as well. Set the gain on the pre how you like and use the master volume on the Hartke and you should be rockin.

Of coarse I could be wrong,I am not overly familiar with your amp or preamp. I guess its possible that your TPS has instrument level out, which would be weird. Though I would still stick the Compressor and the TC piece in the effects loop, the Pre does not belong there though. Its always a good idea to give equipment proper level when ever possible.

6. Thanx for everyones help.......now its time to play with all the knobs.... :)