More Sadowsky Tokyo Info is up at Rodger's Revised Web Site

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gfab333, Nov 10, 2002.

1. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii

Rodger put up more info up at his newly revised web site.

Includes some photos of the new Sadowsky Tokyo models, and pictures and background info on Mr. Kikuchi (the Japanese luthier). Interesting that he makes a Marcus Miller model. I didn't hear about that one.

The site also has about 27 photos of the inside of Rodger's shop and his staff. Very cool.

Tokyo Basses:

Shop photos:
  2. funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

That MM4 looks amazing!!! Makes me wish I still lived in Brooklyn so I could go check them out. I wonder how these will compare to the USA models, which I love.

Does anyone have specs/price info? Couldn't find anything on the site. Are these basses completely MIJ? Do they go through Roger's shop and inspection before going out to the customer?

Hmmm...maybe I'll be able to afford a Sadowsky sooner than I thought. :D
  3. From Roger's e-mail:

I have 5 pcs. of Sadowsky Tokyo in stock.
    Prices are as follows:

RJ4: $2175 w/gig bag
    RJ5: $2475 w/gig bag
    MM4: $2375 w/gig bag

All basses are in natural.
    The RJ5 will be available in black.
    The MM4 will be available in black and transparent white.

Best regards,

Roger Sadowsky
  4. mad_world

Nov 3, 2002
    So are those tokyo versions worth buying? I've played on a sadowsky before and ever since ive always wanted one this could be my chance since there cheaper.
  5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

My guess is that anything Roger is wrapped up in is worth the $. His work is near perfect and all his basses sound wonderful. If you're in the city, check out the shop.

6. funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Having played some Sadowsky's before, I gotta agree with you. I'm willing to give Sadowsky the benefit of the doubt. Sadowsky is one of the few luthiers I would consider buying a bass from without having played it first.

Hopefully a TBer will be able to try one of these out soon and give a review. Wish it could be me! :)
  7. My bet is that these will kick the arse of the FMT Fenders. Good thing the FMT's are discontinued recently, Fender doesn't get outperformed by a 'copycat' :D;).
  8. I was able to try one a couple of months ago. The workmanship was all Sadowsky - flawless. It was light, balanced well and sounded great.

If I needed another jazz style bass, I wouldn't hesitate to try one out.

9. That's still alot of money to spend. I guess I'll stick to the Fender 75 RI
  10. They're basically Atelier Z basses. Those are amazing instruments.

If I'm ever in the market for a good Fender-style 5, I know where to look.
  11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000

Put me down for one of each.

Well, now that Sadowsky's making the MM model, I guess we can expect the price on Fenders to plummet...
  12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've played about 6 or 7 different ones so far & if it weren't for the Tokyo on the headstock, you'd think they were built in the NYC shop.
  13. I played one of the RJ4's when I visited Roger's shop last month and I honestly didn't like it. It just didn't do it for me but I played a sweet olympic white/rosewood vintage 4 that I loved.