1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

More smelly woes!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tualatin, May 7, 2006.

1. Tualatin

Tualatin

Feb 7, 2005
    Atlanta
    Last week it happend. I had every piece of my rig in working order. A freshly reconed 18, recently replaced 10's, and full retube. Sounded amazing.

Tonight... the second channel on the power amp was acting funny. I switched to channel 1, problem solved. A knob turn here, an eq shift there, and then nothing. Instead of bowel shaking bass only an 18 can do, a gut shaking smell of hot, blown voice coil. The 10's didn't sound very good either.

I think that I'm trying to get too much low end out of too little gear. I thought 6 10's an 18 and 900 combined rms watts would suffice, guess not.

My guess is over excursion. I had the eq pretty much flat, but we tune down to A, and it just seems like it can't take the low's that I want it to do. Does that make me a bad person?

Should I start looking for cabs with the lowest response possible?

How do speakers not explode with ERB basses?

This **** makes me wanna quit this band.

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I would get the head checked out. You aren't running a tube amp, are you? You should have enough with an 18, but you guys could be simply playing too loud. I get enough low to run a low A through my rig consisting of only 10s at live volumes, with no PA. (although we don't generally use such low tuning, I usually have my 5er in standard.) Maybe there was a problem with the recone?

3. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    It doesn't sound to me like it's the bands fault?!? Not saying you shouldn't quit if you have other reasons, but I wouldn't blame them for your blown speakers. :eyebrow:

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    What is the amp, and what are the cabinets you are using. What is their rated handling? I would say the amp is having some troubles.

5. Yep, speakers only follow the instructions your amp sends them.

Something isn't right, but I don't think it's the speakers. I play a low A, and I've done it with an 18, a 15, and 10's at different points in time, at very high volume, and never smoked a speaker. From what I understand, over-excursion can cause tearing, but not ignition.:D
    That's frustrating to get something fixed then have it break again right away, I know how you feel.
    C7

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Too little info here:

- What is the head

- What are the cabs, and exactly what speakers are in it? Stock, or replacements with different T/S parameters?

- Cables used are SPEAKER cables and not instrument cables?

- PA support, or are you driving it all from the stage? If stage volume only, what's the size of the room, type of music.

- What are your tone settings? Boosting too much lows? Some people try to make a regular cab perform like a sub, not good.

Give us some more info!

7. Tualatin

Tualatin

Feb 7, 2005
    Atlanta
    More like just sick of trying to fiqure out this problem. I love the band, it's just become extremely expensive.

400+ =>6x10 with monster speaker cable, stock speakers
    slave out=>Instrument cable=>EV 7300A(600watts bridged mono)=>speaker cable=>mesa diesel 18 w/freshly reconed EV18B(with seemingly proper recone kit).

On the 400, I keep the lows as low as possible, especially the 40hz on the graphic.

I did notice as I switched to channel 1 on the EV power amp, I ran the speaker out of phase and also since I ran only one channel, it ran at 4ohms, and the cab is rated at 8....?

This has been some on going stuff for a while, I think....like you said.... I'm trying to make these cabs hit like a sub

8. Tualatin

Tualatin

Feb 7, 2005
    Atlanta
    To whom...

So I forgot to mention that I run an MXR DI distortion into my input. The MXR is a preamp with an eq. I remember reading once that too much eq can be a bad thing, so I ran the MXR flat(all 12 o'clock), the Mesa parametric flat(M10, B3, T2), and the graphic with said lowend rolloff.

Tonight as I was walking through the maze of blown 18's known as the rehersal space floor, I was checking the 10's with the cleanest signal posible i.e. bass run direct into channel 2. As I'm messing with the knobs a bit, I realized that the MXR was boosting the lows way more than I thought and with it taken out of the signal the amp was acting completely different. I rolled the bass completly off and pulled out, set the eq to a nice frown shape, and bam there was the tone I was looking for, no excess speaker movement, flat response, thick lows- even with all the bass cut.

Summary, MXR pre/dist was boosting my lows eventhough I thought my amp eq was cuting them.

I am on the road to better sound.

Will a 400+ power 4 18's

9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    A SS power amp will run at whatever impedance the speaker it is hooked up to is rated. This sounds like either your cab was wired out of phase when reconed or there is something wrong with the power amp.