Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More SpeakerMate Info

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jon R, Oct 10, 2003.

1. I e-mailed the factory and asked this question:

I have a problem that is all too common these days. My amp (a 300 watt Mesa WalkAbout) has a low load limit of 4 ohms for sustained useage. To make a light, portable, killer sounding rig I'm using an 8 ohm 300 watt 1x12 speaker cab (Aguilar GS112). To add tightness and punch I'd like to add a 4 ohm 2x10 speaker cab (Peavey 210TVX). The amps limited wattage prevents me from running three speaker cabs. Can your product help me?

They replied:

You're right,judging by the mail I've been getting(mostly from bassists!)it's a pretty common situation that crops up alot.So here's TWO answers to your question(just to stave off
    some misunderstandings that might arise across the web).

Answer#One:The SpeakerMate won't solve your specific problem.Although it does offer quite a few solutions(with three different models) to setting up multi-speaker configurations,it wasn't(at the time), designed,for your application.To "solve" that problem(hi powered impedance matching)is a bit of a "trick" to pull off(without having to use some type of a "clean"
    sounding(matching) transformer($$$) to maintain fidelity,or sticking a bunch of (massive)power resistors in a cake pan(kidding!)to handle the
    "abuse".Both of these leave a little bit to desire in some way(cost,size,weight,tone,etc)to
    make it practical so everybody can afford it. Having said that....

Answer # TWO: Without letting too much info out ahead of time,I have "solved" your type of problem(no,it's NOT an "internet hoax")and come up with a NEW product(so far to called SpeakerMATCH). At this point,it can do about 2dozen hi powered impedance matching(up & down)"tricks" and will allow simultaneous operation of MISMATCHED impedance loads,WITH
    equal power distribution.It DOESN'T use transformers or resistors,but a different process(can't say yet-I'm still waiting on a number of various Canadian copyright(patents)applications to register).I have a prototype designed,built and being road tested over this summer and with
    some luck,should(barring some disaster)be released late fall,after I decide which version(there's a number of possible final models)to go with.Pricing has yet to finalized,but most likely will be determined by "that" models'
    power rating,and my goal was to make it more affordable than having to buy a "typical" replacement speaker(no,not a B&C or RCF)to solve the "problem".

Sorry about the lengthy answer,but having seen quite a bit of misinformation "floating" around a growing number of MI forums/chatrooms over the last year(about our products)has made me a little more articulate about detailed replies to all the nice folks asking about our "stuff".

Hope this helps & let me know if you have more questions!

Thanks again
    Gilles Grignon
    Sherlock Audio Canada

2. If this "process" is just as smart as the "equal power distribution" feature in their Speakermate, I would't hold my breath too much....

3. OK... sometimes I'm thick as a brick. You don't believe it will work? :confused:

4. That's right. I don't believe a word he's saying.

:rolleyes: I really wonder why...

Where did he learn to write English by the way? Is that a technical note? Vague "technical" terms, bad punctuation, brackets within brackets, hardly readable.

5. Hmmm, to be judged so harshly, and for not using the proper King's English.

Sorry Joris, but many of us on this side of the pond talk crap, misspell most everything we write, and couldn't punctuate diddly if we had to. Still, that doesn't make us idiots, untrustworthy, or liars. I have no idea if his product will work, but I believe I'd give it a chance before I disregarded it as bunk.

6. Well, I'm a professional engineer, and I've noticed that (generally) when salesmen aren't specific on technical information, or use vague techno-babble, their products *MAY* not necessarily do everything that's claimed. I'm especially skeptical when their product claims to do something that may defy the laws of physics.

"Simultaneous operation of mismatched impedance loads, with equal power distribution"....without transformers or resistors, but "a different process??"

Huh? And what kind of process is this? (Can't tell, it's a secret. Oh.)

The main thing most people need to know: the product DOESN'T allow people to run a 2 ohm load (two 4 ohm cabs in parallel) into an amp that's only rated for 4 ohms.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You'd have to be stupid to let out that sort of information, especially with pending patents.........

8. My bad.

But isn't he the president of that company? He apparently believes he has a product coming out very soon that will help people in my situation.

Oh well, I'm not gonna get in a huff about it. If it works, he's the sh!t. If it doesn't, he's a sh!t.

9. Exactly my thoughts. Why is he so secretive about it? Compare it to QSC. They give away all their secrets. I once read an article explaining amplifier classes, written for the public, (in proper English!), and IIRC they stated which amp series used which technology.

The only "process" I can think of that could be used to connect mismatched impedances, is to have some sort of power switching regulator converting the already amplified signal into another amplified signal, IOW, re-amplifying it. In my view as a professional engineer there's no other way to convert impedances at high power levels. It would violate ohm's law (and then some).

Maybe I'm narrow-minded. But I think the speakermatch is just an even smarter (than the speakermate) plug box. I suspect it doesn't need external power either, so there's your evidence.

10. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I'm sceptical but if he's got patents pending he would be mad to reveal any of the underlying technology. I guess we'll just have to wait...

Alex

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Well is Behringer taught us anything, it's that patent law is not effective.

Either way, I would certainly keep it a secret. If people want to copy the technology, they are going to have to do it the hard way and work it out for themselves.

12. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Nashvillebill:

Dude...........you are so freakin right.....I have seen that a ton, and it seems to be worse now than ever. Are we all stupider? (don't answer that, I already know)

13. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Actually, a pending patent is just as protective as having the patent. It's only if you end up not getting the patent that people are free to copy you. IOW, as soon as you file for a patent, nobody may copy you.