Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More speakers= More sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassMisfit, Apr 10, 2002.

1. BassMisfit

BassMisfit

Dec 31, 2000
    Irwin, PA
    Well, this is my perdicament. I'm in a local metal band who plays at extreme volume levels. The amp i'm currently using is a 400w 1x15 Peavy Mark 3 Combo, which although very powerful, cannot match their volume. I was wondering if hooking up a 4x10 400w cabinet would help kick up my sound a couple extra volume levels? The back of my combo has two outputs for hooking up extentions and I was thinking I could use a Y cable and hook up the extention? Would more speakers help me get to the higher levels I need to reach, which are only about 200watts more? I really don't want to end up getting a 1000w 8x10 combo if at all possible, due to the extreme expense. Any help on the subject would be benifical.

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Dude, do they make 1000watt 10x8 combos? :eek:

Basically, yes, if you add more speakers, you get more volume, but I'm going to let the more amp knowledable people answer your question. Cause with adding an extension cab to your combo, you may wind over working the head and that could suck. Sorry I can't help you anymore, but I'm sure someone will have a good answer for you shortly. :)

3. I wasn't aware that Peavey made a Mark 3 combo. The old Mark III bass head was rated a 300 watts @ 2ohms. If your combo is based on the Mark III head it can take a 2 ohm speaker load. You'll have to do a little research and determine what minimum load the amp can handle and be careful that the impedence of all speakers combined that you intend to use isn't below that.

4. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Ashdown makes a 575 Watt 8x10 combo(Mark King Combo) that is built into a road case.I think it weighs about 98 lbs. Not bad for a combo of that size and Ashdown stuff is LOUD!!!!!!!!!

5. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    uh dude.... the mark king is 99 kg. something like 220 lbs.... thas pretty heavy by my standards at least. (though i am a wus)

6. I think that Bassmisfit may mean combination, rather than combo as in an integrated amplifier and speaker. Could be wrong, but I also haven't heard of a Peavey MKIII combo.

Geoff

7. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

More speakers will indeed add more volume.

However, before you run out and get another cab, you should try to get the most percieved volume out of your current rig.

When you are playing, is the cab at your feet? How far are you from it. I lot of times, just placing the cab 5-6 ft from you will give you much higher percieved bass. Also, put the cab up so that it is as close to ear level as possible, or tilt it up so that the speaker face you. You may find this helps.

If not, getting another cab should help.

8. BassMisfit

BassMisfit

Dec 31, 2000
    Irwin, PA
    First off it is a combo, and it says MarkIIICombo on the integrated head. On the back plate it says 400w and besides thet it has two outputs for speakers and says 130w speakers at 4ohm. Does this mean I can only hook up a 130 extention speaker or can I hook up two 130 ext. speakers totaling 260w? I was hoping to hook up a 400w 4x10 cabinet and get the most out of it but it would be more than 260w (is that even a problem). The combo is only a 1x15 so I wanted to add more volume w/o buying an entire new system. I appreciate all your responses.

9. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    The 4x10 sounds like a good idea to me.I have two cabs,a 4x10 and a 1x15,both rated 8 ohms each,and when I use them together I can barely hear the 15.The 1x15 is in a very efficient enclosure,by the way.

There are so many variables that I am afraid I'll get flamed by more knowlegeable people,but let me make this puny effort.The speaker outs say 130 watts,that means the amp will but out 130 watts.whether that is watts RMS or Peak watts I don't know.The speakers are rated at 400 watts.That means they can handle up to 400 watts,but will also handle less than that IF,and this is a big IF,tha power being supplied is clean power,meaning the amp is not clipping.

Clipping causes the signal to send DC current to the cabs and can damage the speakers.That is why it is better to have an overpowered amp than an underpowered one.I recommend using the 4x10 with the fifteen if you can,but if you hear the speakers farting out,turn down the amp.

Not sure why you would use a "Y" cable,If your amp has two speaker outputs and even if the internal speaker is using one of them you still have the second one to use for the 4x10 that you want to add.you wont get more watts by using a"Y",and it may fry your amp if its not wired correctly.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

FYI, the 400 watts marking on the back is indicative of the power consumption, not the output.

If that Combo is based on the old Mark III head, it puts out 300 watts @ 2 ohms, just like Mudbass said.

If you have a 4 ohm speaker internally, adding a 4 ohm cabinet of any configuration will almost double your wattage output. The more drivers in the cabinet you add, the more volume you will add, in theory.

So, if you add a reasonably efficient 4x10 cabinet, your volume should be noticeably louder.