Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More speakon wiring ?'s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jobu3, Sep 27, 2003.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    can you use NL8 connectors or only NL4's when wiring for bridging?

also when wiring for bridging, i know to hook the 1+ and 2+ up at the amp end. when hooking up the 1+ and 1- at the cabinet's end, do i hook the 1+ from the amp side to the 1+ or 1- at the cabinet side?
    :confused:
    thanks in advance!
    :bassist: :)

2. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i don't think there will be any problem as long as i use the right poles, but if anybody has a comment i would appreciate it. ;)

3. I don't know the difference between the NL4 & NL8 :confused: but this may or may not help...

NL4 pdf

:)

4. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    thanks, but already got that... ;)

5. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    :confused:

6. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    anyone? :cool:

7. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    bump for monday...

8. Speakon NL8's are about twice the size of NL4's and will not fit into the same socket as an NL2/NL4. Our Pa is run tri-amped using NL8 leads they are huge...

Are you sure its NL8's you want to use ?

As for the wiring..
    Most amps are set so the positive output is channel 1 (but check your manual)and is normally labelled on the amp. This is the case with the 4 Crown MA1200 power amps in my PA and also the Peavey PV2600 and Behringer EP1500 amps I own.

Hope this helps

Dave

9. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    If your speaker has an NL8 mount you can run an NL4 at your amp and wire it into your NL8 at the speaker. Some amps have a single stereo NL4 for biamping. And some speakers have the option to biamp or triamp. I've had people ask for elaborate setups using NL8's. IE: rack panel with NL8 panel mount using 13/6 speaker wire terminating with 2 NL4 speakon's, 1 is biamp wired for the speaker the other is for the sub. At the rack you can wire the back of the NL8 from 3 separate amp channels. It's a handy way of combining everything to one run. Of course this setup is done twice for stereo. There are so many different ways to do things. As U4riabass stated the NL8's are larger (8 pins) compared to the NL4 (4 pins)

10. Bluebomber

Bluebomber

May 2, 2000
    Korea
    This should be a new post, but since the speakon brains have come together here, I thought i would just ask it here, if thats ok...

Can I replace my 1/4 speaker wire with speakon connectors? Can they be used for 2 conductor wire? i saw the pdf file (http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/amps/126986.pdf)and it seems like these are only for 4 conductor wires
    I also dont really understand the different wiring arrangements that you guys have been talking about. The wires are used for my QSC in the PA system which is run stereo. whats the wiring arrangement i need for this? Can a wire thats set up for stereo be used for bridged?

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    When you buy a dozen eggs, they probably come in a sort of cardboard or foam eggcrate, with 12 separate recesses for holding eggs.

As you consume the eggs, you can still use the same eggcrate to store the smaller number of eggs by leaving some recesses empty.

In the same way, you can use a 4-pole Speakon connector for only two wire conductors. In fact, it is quite common; you just have to make sure that you wire to the appropriate poles or pins of the Speakon connector. It is not required that you use all four poles unless your particular application demands it.

Bridged mono uses a different arrangement of output connections than stereo or parallel operation does. That's because bridged mono uses the "hot" outputs of the two channels, which combine to make one mono amplifier. Therefore, a Speakon connection on the amp is different in bridged mono than in stereo or parallel.

Do you have an owner's manual for your QSC amp? Look at the pages apropos to bridged and stereo output connections. You'll find that you must use only the upper Speakon output, and the plug must be wired to poles (or pins) 1+ and 2+, which exactly correspond to the two red output binding posts. You could also look at the labeling on the back of the amp, but it doesn't have illustrations to help explain.

12. Bluebomber

Bluebomber

May 2, 2000
    Korea
    Im using my amp in stereo, so i dont think any of those other wirings are needed for me. From what i see, i need to wire mine to 1+ and 1-.

For my use, am I supposed to get the NL4, or the NL2/NL8?...im assuming NL4's.

Also, I assume i can use the same connectors and wiring to connect speakers in daisy chain to each other. Let me know if anything ive said is wrong...thanks...

13. Bluebomber

If you are using your amp in stereo then you can use either NL2's or NL4's.

Both of these look identical until you open them up. Inside you will see the NL2 has only 2 pins to connect the speaker cable up to, a positive and a negative, exactly the same as the connections you would get on a normal Jack lead.
    Use NL2's so you cant go wrong.

If you open up an NL4 and you will see 4 pins to connect cable upto. this is effectively just two pairs of plugs in one. so you get two positive connections and two negative connections. To aid you connecting the right ones up they are labelled with numbers so the first Positive is labelled 1+ and first negative is labelled 1-
    Theses are the ones you would use if using your amp in normal stereo and feeding to one speaker from one side of the amp (ignore the second set of pins labelled 2+ and 2-).

So you will need two leads both wired up to the 1+(positive) and 1- (negative) pins. One lead plugged into the right channel and one into the left channel

NL8 plugs and sockets are a completely different size (approximately twice the size) as normal NL2's and NL4's. These, as the name suggests, contain 8 connection pins to run upto 4 channels through one lead. My PA uses these but you will not find an amp with NL8 connections on them. The way these are used is that all of the amps are housed in a single large flightcase and all of the individual speaker outputs are hardwired onto a rack panel with NL8 sockets so that all of the individual channels are sent through one large speaker cable which is then split up again at the speaker end into the required number of channels. Its simply a way of plugging a number of different speaker systems into the amp with only one main cable run.

In summary:-
    You only need to use NL2's when running the amp in stereo, (or pins 1+ and 1- if you use NL4's) You cant use NL8's.

Hope this helps matters

14. Bluebomber

Bluebomber

May 2, 2000
    Korea
    thanks for taking the time to explain things out for me, it helps alot.

15. Glad to be of help...:D