More Strange Looking Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Geoff St. Germaine, Oct 20, 2002.

1. I saw Spalt basses and thought they were really odd looking. They really grew on me, and I quite like the Magma Lightwave.

Well, I just found these, and while weird, I don't think that they will grow on me.

Anyone ever play one? I noticed them because Luthier's Access Group now has one, though they don't have a picture yet.

2. Boral

Feb 21, 2002
    Basses by Picasso???
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I highly dislike the self-application of the word "art" by guitar manufacturers. To me it seems a feeble cover-all for whichever aesthetic or functional imperfections an instrument may have. If something is "art," then leave that up to the viewer to decide; don't make that claim on your own. It's like a form of self-elevation that somehow puts their instruments on a higher level and therefore not privy to criticism (think Wishnevsky). In an instrument, function should always come before style, and when a company makes a point to talk about their style first, it worries me. If you make a good product, stand behind it as what it is; an instrument. Let the populus decide if it goes beyond the level of fine luthiery (sp?) and enters the level of "art."
  4. wannabee

May 19, 2002
    :eek: At the risk of being pegged closed minded or
    more of traditionalist.....I think these are quite
    NASTY!!!! Even somewhat me.
    I will probably have a nightmare in which I own one of these things.:) If I do, I will let you know how it played.
  5. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Speaking of Spalt, I just purchased a vViper from Michael Spalt at the Arlington Guitar Show. I was once a naysayer but now I believe. We need more foward thinking guys like this. What a nice guy too, he let me play almost all the basses he had there and I was extremely impressed. I'm holding the vViper right now and I can't stop doing cheesy shred legato runs because this thing plays so easy.Not to mention it sounds great too and I can actually move the pickup either towards the bridge or the neck depending on what kind of sound I'm going for. Perhaps that may seem gimmicky to people, but hey, I dig it!

As far as these "art guitars" I kind of dig the guitar with the swamp ash body and lipstick pickups. Some of the ones on the bottom row of photos are a bit too funky for my tastes.
  6. The horror, the horror, the horror!!!

Man, #33 looks like pieces of 2x4 were stapled into it. Ouch. Just... ouch.
  7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
  8. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    nacho-m - "You could call me crazy but i really like the number 33... you know, the green one. "

you mean rolling rock???:D
  9. I know this is off-topic but..
    where did your name come from? (kaboom133)
  10. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    when i was younger(around 13, most kids go through this) i went through a weird stage were i was obsessed with fire and violent video games. i was playing warcraft 2 for my computer, and i kept clicking on a charecter on the game, untill he said in a funny hight pitched voice "kabooooom!" i loved it, and it just kinda stuck. and 1 and 3 are my favorite numbers, plus 33 is a thing from my hometown, because of rolling rock. sorry about that, on with the thread, i love most of those basses, and the furniture, when i have a house, i'm stocking it with that stuff.
  11. Oh, never mind.
    I thought it had something to do with the old atari video game "Kaboom!"
  12. Wow, something for Wishnevsky to laugh at. That is scary.
  13. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    those headstocks don't look very functional, and it seems that most of those basses wouldn't rest very well against your body.
  14. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I think those basses are ugly.. whats worse.. he is calling them works of art.... No sir. I don't like it....

and for all playable purposes.. they just don't look like they would fit right around the body.. and like POT said about the tuners and the headstock...
  15. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I think the first one really look like my Tung.

I doN,t like the headstock that's for sure!
  16. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I remember those popping up around here not too long ago. I'd be interested in the playability. I kind of like the green one (#33). Not as a bass, but as a bug maybe. Some kind of cartoon insect musician or something.
  17. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA

I like this one :D
  18. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i've played several of Michael Spalts basses.

they have that one thing we all look for:

he knows what he's doing and daring to DESIGN.

i love em.

some of the best necks i've ever played!

19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the headstocks on these things look silly.
  20. And you'd need really long arms or fingers to tune the things.