1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

More sugar!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Morrighan, Dec 1, 2018.

Must restrain myself

Poll closed Dec 25, 2018.
  1. Gingerbread men

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. Sand tarts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sugar cookies with a cherry on top

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Reindeer and Christmas tree cookies

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Molasses cookies

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. M&M cookies

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  7. I eated teh Oreos

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Carrot cake

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  9. Want more

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  10. Oh boy, raisins!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. If you're out and about this December, how about More Sugar!

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Mmmmmm but doc warns me I gotta diet or die...

T_Bone_TL likes this.
  3. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i rarely eat much sugar (i'm diabetic) except for a true once in a long while splurge, but luckily for me, there are lots of sugar free treats and sweeteners, and i started baking early this year. i've made sugar free or very low sugar cakes and brownies to keep my sweet tooth satisfied. also i love kroger sugar free ice cream, quest bars, no sugar added fudgecicles, grape ice breakers and the list goes on... and on...

but i haven't made cookies from scratch... yet. it's time to make some holiday cookies - stars, christmas trees, ginger bread men. i think i'll try and color some xylitol crystals, then put them on the top of my first batch of "sugar" cookies for a festive appearance.

4. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

When I stopped drinking and using I was having three or four donuts, much coffee and cigarettes for breakfast. I wondered why I was still sick in the morning. I soon discovered that sugar was just one more addictive drug for me.
    Began experimenting with sweeteners with less glycemic content. After much trial and error started using barley malt and fruit juice sweetener. Also used date flour and even prunes at times for sweetness. Don't know if these techniques will work for diabetics or others but these worked for me as long as I don't gorge. When I eat what I bake I don't get that huge sugar spike and then the crash that follows.
    Also, using whole wheat pastry flour helps as well. It is not as dense as regular whole wheat flower and does affect me like regular white flour. Anything that is less processed and absorbed slower into my system helps.
    The trick to baking with alternative sweeteners is to take a standard recipe and substitute the sugar with the sweeteners. Use half the amount of sweeteners that the recipe calls for. You can also get barley sweetened chocolate chips and carob chips at some places.
    I make cookies, pies and cake.
    At one point I had enough of working high tech and started a wholesale bakery called "Sugar Me Not." Some people loved my stuff. Sold it at co-ops and health food stores. I am a lousy businessman and I folded after one year. But it was a great experience.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    T_Bone_TL, S-Bigbottom and pcake like this.
  5. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    dates, prunes and other fruits and fruit sweeteners often have the same amount of sugar and glycemic index as sugar. ones with a lower glycemic index include apricots, apples and cherries. i haven't tried barley malt syrup, but it's in my shopping cart at amazon. i have powdered barley malt, which adds a nice taste but not really any sweetness.

i am allergic to modern wheat, so i bake mostly with spelt flours - both white and whole grain - as well as some barley flour, rye and some other flours. i also sometimes add oat flour or oat fiber. it takes some adjustment, but i've mostly got it sorted out. if you want more fiber, try oat flour or oat fiber - 10% of your total flour, give or take, and voila! you've got fiber.

i use a lot of trader joe's stevia extract, which is a 0 calorie sweetener, but it's bitter, so while it works well with some chocolate, sometimes i use xylitol (made from birch hardwood - go figure) with it or erythritol, which has an odd, cold taste if you use it alone. sometimes i'll add a little sugar to even things out. btw, some brands of stevia extract taste a little like licorice, so i avoid most of them.

and now back to the thread...

slobake likes this.
  6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I'm in my house but I like sugar. Unfortunately I only have carrots, mustard and beer in my refrigerator. I'm gonna have some carrots and mustard. And beer.

Oddly, G-Z, pcake and 2 others like this.
  7. slobake

Invalid poll, no carrot cake option. ;)

pcake likes this.
  8. Fixed

frosting on that carrot cake?

pcake and slobake like this.
  9. slobake

How sweet of you, yes please.

pcake likes this.
  10. We'll miss you.

bholder likes this.
  11. <--- Alleged to indulge at holiday parties in those cherries that have been swimming in vodka since July

and maybe eated a cookie
    or two

thanks for putting out all those celery sticks and carrots

12. Only raw carrots for me. drool

slobake likes this.
  13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Just today we began a focused effort to consume less processed sugar.
    We don't drink soda, no sugary cereal, not much by way of candy (except my weakness for Maynard's wine gums), so I don't think we'll have much trouble being successful.
    I did maintain a food diary for two weeks before starting this to see how much I really do eat. It was surprising how much I was fooling myself though.

-Mike

14. Oberst

Oberst

Oct 1, 2018
    Pfeffernusse for holiday sweets.

15. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Rumballs

Rice Crispy Treats

Oatmeal raisin cookies

Tollhouse cookies

I voted carrot cake because I love it. With cream cheese frosting makes it teh roxxorz

16. Fudge, lots of fudge.

17. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    “No sugar added” vanilla ice cream is surprisingly good.

pcake likes this.
  18. Eggnog

with

rum and a dash of cinnamon on top
    and maybe a sprinkle of nutmeg

Passinwind likes this.
  19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Homemade egg nog or store bought?

-Mike

20. With enough chocolate syrup and whipped cream.