Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More sustain for my Fender 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by old_skool, Jan 3, 2002.

1. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I’m wondering what would be a good way to increase the sustain on my fender mim deluxe 5. The guys at the music store always give me comments such as "don’t waste anymore money on that thing, you need to go with something high-end" when I ask about good drop-in replacements for my bass. I don’t want a new bass, i just want a good solid 5-string bridge but I’m not sure where to look or what is good. I know there have been tons of questions on upgrading mims but none seem to apply to 5 strings. Sorry, I don’t know if this is in the right forum.
    Thanks.

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    A nice big ABM bridge. I believe it has a different screw pattern than the bass, so it would require a luthier to do it properly (unless you're up to the task), but it's the best solution I know short of a 2TEK bridge. It's about $135, and well worth it. Solid heavy brass, quick loading, and lock-down saddles. I put one on my Yamaha and it sustains forever. Not to mention, it GREATLY improved the overall tone of the bass. I highly, highly suggest this. You can get them at allparts.com. I'd opt for the ones with the lock-down saddles.

The easier, and in my opinion worse, option would be to opt for a Badass II 5 string bridge. Should fit right in, but does need to have the saddles filed for the strings, so it's still a big pain in the butt.

I'd opt for the ABM.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'd say for a quick fix, MF offers a weight/clamp called the Fat Finger that you attach to the headstock, and I hear it works ok

For a more permanent fix, I'd look at a new high mass bridge, like maybe a Badass, or some Hipshot models. Maybe go whole hog and get an AMB. Those really help the most in the sustain department. For best results, I think this goes in setup.

AMB doesn't have a website, but can be found at www.allparts.com
    Hipshot is at
    www.hipshotproducts.com
    and Badass as well as others can also be found at allparts.

Hope this heps a bit.

4. tmt

tmt

Nov 10, 2001
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    I'd go for Bad Ass Bridge ;)