1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

More SYB-5 content. Jungle synth sounds

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Hector_G, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Hector_G

Hector_G

Apr 6, 2009
    El Paso, Texas
    I made this video sort of in response to the thread titled "Clinic On Getting That Jungle/Synth Sound"
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=650246

The tone that Janek Gwizdala gets is awesome. I tried to replicate it with my current equipment and I think I got pretty close.
    For the price of the Moog LPF alone, you can closely achieve that sound with an SYB-5 and a Zoom B2.1u.

Opinions and criticism greatly welcome.
    Let me know what you think.

I'm liking my SYB-5 more and more each day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9pEVjR8a_0

2. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    Very nice. I prefer the first tone you got, without the distortion. I definitely dig the SYB's, and really think they get slagged unfairly.

3. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Thanks for the GAS. :scowl:

4. tim bucknall

tim bucknall

May 26, 2010
    thanks for the Vids
    its so great to find someone else who loves the SYB-5, after i joined up here i searched for SYB-5 and found a lot of negative stuff. i guess its all about personal taste. its probably the only pedal i own that i can't find fault with.
    as someone whos stuck at home playing solo bass, the syb-5 was a godsend,
    I managed to get pretty close to the synth sounds on my fave records:
    Careering by PiL
    Requiem by Killing Joke
    and Andy Summers Guitar synth sound ca. Ghost In the Machine

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Another SYB-5 fan here. I simply didn't have room on my board for any of the "other" bass synth pedals everyone loves around here, and bought the Boss on a whim. Had to immediately get the expression pedal, too, which lives off the board, but fits in the case, with a powerstrip. Amazingly good synth tones, although not a great deal of real variety, and fairly limited on tweakability, the pedal does deserve a better rep than it gets here. Love mine.

6. illern

illern

Feb 26, 2006
    Stockholm
    I just got mine the other day and I find it to be really quite awesome. I mostly play indie-pop/rock and usually I really don't find any need for any processed sounds but with an expression pedal hooked up to the SYB-5 it really works well just sweeping up during verses or when approaching a chorus or high-energy part.

7. fdask

fdask

May 20, 2009
    Toronto
    Nice video! I hadn't heard the SYB-5 with an expression pedal yet. (I still have to get one!)

The SYB-5 was the first bass pedal I got and I still really dig it.

8. Cool stuff the last couple sounds and with the FM4 are really cool. I have an OC-2, SYB-5, and Moog LPF too so Im kinda in the same boat as you. I do wanna pickup some kind of distortion/wave shaper and an FM4 next though.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i have to stick up for the syb pedals, too...got an syb-3. yeah, they don't track like no pedal at all, but if you learn their strong points and stay away from the weak points, you can maximize their effectiveness. plus they have a nifty auto filter.

10. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Very cool. I just started seeing videos of the SYB-5 doing jungle stuff and I was totally blown away.

I'm looking forward to trying one, especially with an exp pedal for LFO rate.

11. Hector_G

Hector_G

Apr 6, 2009
    El Paso, Texas
    I can see why this pedal might get bad reviews. I think if used with a bass that doesn't have a very strong output, it will track very poorly. When I switch my Carvin to passive mode, the output drops significantly and the SYB-5 has a really hard time triggering off of that signal. Once I pop on the active side, no problems.

Definitely with the expression pedal it opens up so many more possibilities. It's a necessity for the pseudo dubstep wobble. And as in the video, with different distortions or overdrives after it, it can get brutal.

12. pedalguy1

pedalguy1

Jun 3, 2008
    Riverton Utah
    Man, that video was gas inducing.