Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More tech support questions. (sasser and such)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, May 12, 2004.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Yes, I'm a dummy. Yes, I'm fighting the sasser worm. I've got some good advice from talkbass members and I think I'm making progress. I'm definitely learning. Last night, I was able to get the Windows XP firewall enabled and stay on long enough to get my 17 critical updates from the microsoft site. This was on a dial up, so I had to let it download over night. When I got up this morning, I expected the download to be complete - which I believe it was, but the wife had already done something. The screen said please wait while your updates are installed or something to that effect. It didn't really indicate that anything was happening - nothing indicating the status (no 5% complete or anything like that) I asked her if she had found the computer that way this morning, or if she had done anything. She said "I just clicked okay" I asked "okay to what, what did it say?" and of course she had no idea, she was slightly irritated that I even asked. "I don't know - I didn’t read it, I just clicked okay" …so the computer is on this screen that says please wait while your updates install - I have to assume that my downloads completed and that we must wait for them to install (but it's not really indicating that this is happening). We are pretty impatient people and started thinking it was "stuck" - so I hit the refresh button, I don't know if that was good or bad or even did anything at all. The screen still said the same thing. When I left for work it still looked exactly the same. I just called to see if it has done anything different yet and she checked - she said that now it is just a white screen (but apparently still connected) So… Are my updates from microsoft being installed on the computer, is this what it looks like while that is happening? Is there a way to check and see if they are maybe installed, or still being installed? What happens if you have completed downloading windows updates but fail to install them - can you go offline and reboot and install them later or does the instillation need to complete now? I just don't want to get stuck in the final stages of this long process and have to do it all over. Sorry for the long post, my week long crash course in computer viruses and windows technology is driving me crazy!

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Welcome to Windows.

Reboot your system and go back to Microsoft's site and let it scan for updates. If there aren't anymore found to install then they are installed. If something got hosed during the install, do it again.

By the way if there is a reputable PC repair place by you, have them do the updates via a broadband connection...it will only take a matter of minutes.

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    That is what I'm afraid of.

So - it probably shouldn't be sitting on the "please wait..." screen for 3 hours, huh?

Oh, well - thanks for reading and for answering me. I might have to look into getting the patches from a pro - but I'm cheap and this is getting kind of personal for me. I've made progress and I will win!

4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Do what Sundogue said and you're fine. You don't need a pro to do updates, he was only referring to using someone for broadband access so you don't have to wait so long.

Hang in there. All of this trial and error crap is the way you learn computers. The ONLY way. Classes, tutorials, help menus, etc, only go so far. Trial by fire learning is how you truly learn this stuff. Pretty soon you will be helping others.

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Yeah, I wasn't necessarily trying to get you to take it somewhere...but when trying to do big downloads, dial-up sucks.

I do this stuff every single day and I really could not do it without broadband. I've got 10-12 systems at a time sucking up bandwidth with downloads of one kind or another.

And by all means, have patience. Computers are not all that difficult. Once you understand it, it's like a light comes on and you go, "Oh that was easy!" Besides, I can't tell you how many people screw up their systems by not doing relatively simple things like keeping thier updates and anti-virus current. One customer brought in his PC yesterday because it was so slow. I couldn't believe it even functioned as he let his NAV subscription lapse...since 8-5-03!!! I installed a new Norton and it found 7,866 viruses!!! He could have avoided all the problems if he would have just done a simple thing like re-register his anti-virus.

The best way to learn is just what you are doing. I tell people all the time, "You want to learn about computers? Screw em up and fix them yourself." You won't worry so much about what to do or how to do it then.

Oh, and get broadband if you can, it's not that expensive and once you get it, you'll wonder why you waited so long (if it's available in your area).

6. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

I agree. I actually learned a lot last night, with some help from the tutorial you gave me yesterday. I could not make the "shutdown-a" thing that others recommended work at all, but in looking back I don't think I was doing it right. Deleting the avserve.exe, evserve2.exe, and *_up.exe files out of the system tray, windows folder and system 32 folder allowed me to connect and stay on (for a while) I think what was happening was that I was removing the worm per your instructions and then I'd try to update Windows or Norton but after awhile the worm would be back. I think I was getting rid of it (but hadn't updated anything) and then going online and getting re-infected. Once I removed the worm and then enabled the built in XP firewall things seemed much better. (which is exactly what you said to do…) I managed to stay connected all night, so I'm almost "there". Thank for your help - you were a real life saver on this one, and yes - you have helped me learn a lot about our home computer.

7. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    With that attitude, you'll figure it out...and it will be quite satisfying that you did too.

Like baba said, before you know it, you'll be helping others. Heck, that's what happened to me many years ago...and now I'm a network admin. Wait, that's not necessarily a good thing, is it? Think stress, long hours, on call, etc. :D

8. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Yeah, When they brought PC's into the picture here at work, I attended one 2 hour class on windows and outlook. The one thing I took from that class was bassically what you are saying. The instructer said "Try things, see how it works - you won't break it" and that has been true.
    I just had to pump you guys for advice yesterday because I'd tried everything I could think of.

No broadband where I'm at :( (we're so far out we can't even get cable tv) I may look into Direct PC (satelite) but for now, we're a dial-up family.

9. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Yeah, until broadband (DSL or Cable) is commonplace everywhere, you are stuck with dial-up or satellite. Satellite can be expensive though and is subject to weather too.

If you are stuck with dial-up, there are programs out there that keep track of your downloads and if you get disconnected, will pick up your download right where it left off after you connect again, without having to start the download all over again (great for dial-up users when downloading large files).

I can't think of the names off hand, but do a Google search for "downloading software".

10. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    If you have a newish computer don't forget you may be able to call the company for phone tech support.