Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rockandroller, Oct 23, 2002.

1. this is going on about 20 minutes drive from my house (i live in Moscow)

About 20 Chechen gunmen have entered a Moscow theatre, firing into the air and holding the audience and actors hostage.
    The theatre was holding a performance of the most popular Russian musical Nord-Ost.

Chechen separatists who contacted the BBC said the hostage-takers had planted explosives in the theatre and were led by a nephew of Chechen warload Arbi Barayev.

They demanded immediate withdrawal of Russian troops from Chechnya, and said they were prepared to die for their cause.

The gunmen initially allowed members of the audience - at the Palace of Culture, in the southwest of the city - to use mobile phones to tell people outside, but stopped them soon afterwards.

Capacity crowd

The number of people taken hostage is unknown, but the play is said to be very popular and always attracts a capacity crowd.

BBC Moscow correspondent Nicholai Gorshkov says there is seating for about 500 people.

Children and Muslim members of the audience are understood to have been released.

Police teams rushed to the scene but there were no initial reports of casualties.

The area has been sealed off and President Vladimir Putin is said to be watching the situation closely.
  2. Rockandroller, I heard about this on National Public Radio; they have links with the BBC. They said it was 700 people initially. Let's hope and pray for a safe end to this insanity.

Moscow today, tomorrow who knows where?

You take an entire theater hostage.

What in God's name is next? :confused:

Mike J.
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Keeping my fingers crossed... not that it helps any, but I'll do it anyway. This is truly scary s**t.
  4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    This situation is pretty bad indeed.

I hope everyone gets out alive from this one!

But I also think this thread is better suited for Off-Topic.
  5. um.. this IS "off-topic" :)

still no progress in this sorry situation.. imagine if it was MSG or the King-dome?
  6. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    Man don't take this the wrong way, but don't jinx it by saying what's next? I always find that when I say that...something does happen...but that is just me...Anywho,This situation in Moscow does have me worried. It goes to show, that no one in this world will be safe from terrorists. There is no excuse for this kind of behavior. I do hope and pray that these poeple come out alive and unscathed. I don't even want to imagine the emotions they are feeling right now. I am so very sorry to hear about this on the news and I wish that there was more I could do.:(
  7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Oops, my bad.... I thought this was in misc ;)
  8. Exactly. You have to watch when you go on vacation (Bali) and now you have to worry when you go to the theater. I'm just thinking about copy-cats.

Mike J.
  9. Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Man, this is a horrible ordeal for so many people who just thought they were going to see a play. They've been in there for what, about 24 hours now? According to CNN, about 60 hostages have been released or escaped at this point. One woman came out telling of bad beatings, but no shootings at this point. In addition, the gunmen have said that they have mined parts of the theater. They have allowed water and some Red Cross volunteers in.