More than four string hate?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Time Consumer, Feb 17, 2010.

1. skidrawk

skidrawk

Jan 21, 2007
    Space City, TX
    I'm a long time 4 stringer who converted to a VI a few years ago due to stay competitive with the local market demand. Maybe they have 5 string envy.

2. Greevus

Greevus

Apr 15, 2009
    I'm a four string BEADist and I would've boned his wife.

3. Time Consumer

Time Consumer

Jan 27, 2008
    Joliet Ill.
    Man thats exactly what I would do if I got a sixer, so u dont have problems amplifying that super low note at all, and it can be heard and everything?

Dr Gero likes this.
  4. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    the only time anyone has remarked on my having a 5er was at a bar in the boonies.
    "Well that's something you don't see very often!"
    People don't talk to me much at shows.

I enjoy 4s and 5s- they offer different positive attributes. At some point I will probably own 7 string and probably tune it F#-C. It just sounds like fun!

5. cirrusb2002

cirrusb2002

Nov 1, 2009
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Peavey Cirrus#47, BAM & Versarray, G&L basses, Genz Benz amps
    I have a 6 string for orchestral voicings, especially ones that want you to sound like the tuba/horn parts you're reading. & on the 5 string thought, anyone ever heard of Hipshot?

6. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I am for Sting personally. I think he is a talented bassist, singer and composer, and gets unfair criticism from the snobby types.

Wait....what?

7. Wow, what a douche! I haven't got any neg comments about my 6-string, but I do get looked at. Especially when I played a jazz-ish gig at a school.

8. Too right.....
    the cupcakes might have been all they had to give....

....it's more likely that they were herbal though...

Dr Gero likes this.
  9. I started on the 4, then in 1996 discovered the 5 late, then played it exclusively for 10 years, then returned to passive 4 strings. I still break out the 5s for certian jobs and occasions. I like all of my basses, and have a wide variety to fit the needs of folks I play with, and I often am requested to bring certain basses to the jobs at hand. I even tried the 8 string thing for a while.

I find all these folks who run down certain types of basses because it is not their thing to be quite annoying and immature, sort of like children fussing over things. If you like a type of bass, or string or amp choice it is your choice. Enjoy it. Just leave others to their own choices without being annoyed.

10. Sigurd

Sigurd

Oct 27, 2004
    I have a Mesa M6 through a Berg 410, so no, I do not have any amplification problems. The E kills, the B thumps and it's believable down to about Ab. F# and G are definitely a stretch, but still very usable. My next move will be a 35" scale bass.

Dr Gero likes this.
  11. boomtisk

boomtisk

Nov 24, 2009
    Germany
    Apparently, most people don't seem to know that most people use five strings so they can have lower notes available and seem to assume they use them so they can play higher because they want to solo. At least this has been my experience with people who know a bit about guitars but not nearly as much as they seem to think. :eyebrow:

Dr Gero likes this.
  12. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Sounds like jealousy to me. You should have talked to him, I would have been like, "You da man". You know what's good for a inferiority complex? Feed it ;)

Dr Gero likes this.
  13. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    Someone could play 10 string bass and I would not give a flip - but I will listen to hear if he/she can play it musically and for the song. Often I hear 5ers spending too much time down at the bottom (maybe they just transitioned or something and feel they have to use it). Personally I like a 4 and most of the music I listen to can be played on a 4 in standard tuning.
    What do ya think of those drummers with too many drums? I can do all that on just a snare and highhat ;)

Dr Gero likes this.
  14. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    I always thought that if you went above six strings, you were going to get into tapping.

Dr Gero likes this.
  15. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    None of my basses are more than 4 string, but I have no hate for anyone who uses a basses with more than 4.

Dr Gero likes this.
  16. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Not necessarily. I play a seven, and tap less than I did when playing a four as my main axe. It depends on the music you play, not the instrument you play it on.

Dr Gero likes this.
  17. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I haven't got the time nor energy to get too worked up over what somebody else decides to play. I may think someone's made a bad choice (mostly when I see other drummers' drumsets), but with basses all I care is that the cat can play.

A good P-Bass is all one really needs though.

KO

18. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I tend to play four strings or less. If the string to fingers ratio exceeds 1:1 I'm not comfortable.

I love to hear some great bass playing though. Number of strings is irrelevant when it's someone elses problem!

19. I just made the jump to the six string after playing a 4 string Fender Jazz for many years. I totally dig my 4 string, but I'm enjoyng the challenge of thinking differently and working the extended range of the 6 into our sets.

Really, I don't see any diffrence between a keyboard player who has a short keyboard or a full 88 key keyboard. As long as it grooves!

I must say that when I pick up my 4 string after playing the six for the last few weeks, it has done wonders for my hands.

20. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Minneapolis seems to be a predominantly four string town. The biggest reason to not use anything else here is if you have friends sitting in, which is fairly common in my social circles.

KO

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021