More than four string hate?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Time Consumer, Feb 17, 2010.

1. It probably generated quite a bit of discomfort for you. Very unfortunate. It's sad that p**** envy extends to equipment, but that's not your problem. You handled it well.

Maybe it boils down to preference. For example, my kid has two basses, an Ibanez BTB 455QM 5 stringer and a parts PJ style 4 banger.

While he has no trouble switching back and forth between the two instruments, they are very different in the approach particularly on the Ibby as the neck is very wide and it is a 35" scale. He also likes the fact that he doesn't have to change hand position as often.

However, his go to bass for a lot of reasons only clear to him, is the old girl and the Ibby is collecting dust. To each his own.

2. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Some people need to focus more on what they do and less on what others do. I use 5s. I don't give a flying F what others use.

3. Shovelbone

Shovelbone Gold Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Yonderville Georgia
    1+ :D

4. Don't knock them till you try them kinda thing I guess. I like 4's and 5's. There's a place for both I think. Everything I play these days is drop tuned so I took the plunge and got a 5. Took some time to get used to. Just got tired of de-tuning every other song. I filled in for a bass player a couple of months ago and that band de-tunes down a half step on all strings, that wasn't so bad. If you play any kind of modern country music and try to reproduce the original bass lines you have to go deep. Just makes it easier.

5. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa

Woops, typo - I am sure you meant Jazz!! :D:p;)

6. El Bajo

El Bajo

Apr 12, 2006
    UK
    I play 6 string bass so that I don't get the 'bass is way easier than guitar, its only got 4 strings' comment.

Dr Gero likes this.
  7. i play a one string bass...and im in a bela fleck cover band!

8. rmkesler

rmkesler

May 6, 2009
    Winder, GA
    I barely know what to do with the four I have. Any more would just confuse me.
    So his wife had to go speak his mind for him. Talk about an inferiority complex.
    :rollno:

Dr Gero likes this.
  9. funny, i find it very logical that penis envy extends :ninja:

also, is penis a dirty word now? if so i appologize.

oh, and spell check tells me there is only one p in apologize, what is the world comming too?

10. "funny, i find it very logical that penis envy extends

also, is penis a dirty word now? if so i appologize.

oh, and spell check tells me there is only one p in apologize, what is the world comming too?"

Appollogie akcepted.

De Nada

11. I have a 4 string jazz and a 4 string ABG, my next bass would be a 4 string fretless and after that a 5´er.
    I tried out a 6`er and liked it too but don´t know what to do with so many notes up high

I just love bass

P.S: I have to have an upright too

To the original post: stupidity is huge among the pleople

12. whocaresnotme

whocaresnotme

Jun 21, 2009
    When I played 6 I had a guy ask me why and I just said "I am lazy". He just looked at me funny and walked away. LOL...

Dr Gero likes this.
  13. Time Consumer

Time Consumer

Jan 27, 2008
    Joliet Ill.
    Lol, thanks for all the funny responses, its nice u guys are keeping the humerous tone I intended for the thread. Def not a huge deal, my first 2 basses were 4 bangers so I have no issue, hell I jammed on someone elses four string at the hard rock the next day after playin the house of blues(it was a big weekend, just hadta throw that in... to brag lol). Like I said I just found it hilarious she'd come up to me and said that, and im relieved her lame hubby didn't talk to me personally, dont know if I woulda taken it so gracefully.

Dr Gero likes this.
  14. Woofer

Woofer

Sep 24, 2008
    OBX
    Fixed it for you. :D

OT, I have a 4 and a 5. Use both interchangably.

15. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    As an old school, four banger fan, who is old as well, I really could care less what my fellow bass players choose to make music with. Tools are tools, and if you want five or fifty strings to reach your musical goals, I'll always back another musician's right to choose their individual instrument/tone path. I do find it funny, and a bit cowardly that any guy would send his wife up to make disparaging comments about another musician. On the other hand she might be a dingbat of the first order, who has no sense of tact or modesty when it comes to keeping her pie hole shut in regards to what others say to her in confidence. If this is so, her husband should be pitied. He's gonna' be in for a lot of fun for as long as their marriage lasts.

If it'll make you feel better, I've been questioned about my use of my traditional four stringers a couple of times times over the years by younger folks who assume that every bass had at least five strings. I don't know about any hate movement being orchestrated by four string bass players, directed against five string players, and the rest of those who prefer erb basses. I've got my own buisness to worry about, to ever get caught up in that kind of nonsense.

Dr Gero likes this.
  16. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
    I've experienced only one case of direct 'hate' for the 5-string, but I know many who 'dislike' a 5 string...

But I find that dislike for the 5 string usually starts with a bad experience on one. Be it at a music store, or when they picked up someone else's axe and looked foolish trying to wank off. All because they didn't get that nothing has changed, they just have one more string.

Its only as difficult as you make it.

Its quite funny that his wife came up to you though...

Dr Gero likes this.
  17. I've gotten a surprisingly large amount of crap for playing a 5er. I thought it was normal, but apparently not, lol.

I play a 5er for a few reasons...
    1: I'm pretty much only into metal (Trust me, if I could like other styles of music, I would, I'm envious of those who can listen an like everything). Stuff like nevermore where a 5 string is a requirement for someone like me, I'm not fast enough to shoot my hand up the neck to play higher notes.
    2: Down tuning's a pain in the f'in arse! This way when I play song 2 with my cover band I just use the extra string!
    3: I personally find 4string necks really uncomfy, they're too slim. Even the really thick ones still don't feel right, I like a really thin 5er neck, that's right for me!
    4: I prefer the look of 5 strings, no idea why. Always have, always will!

Worse thing I get is old timer bassists telling me that active pickups are a waste, that you only need 4 strings...That Fenders are OBVIOUSLY the best basses ever, an that my bass looks terrible :mad:. Oh, and that I'd play better with a fender :confused:

Dr Gero likes this.
  18. Bochafish

Bochafish

Jul 26, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I have a 4 and a 5, and I like them both. It's been discussed before, but my main reason for liking 5 strings are:
    1. More notes per position
    2. Tighter string spacing (I like 18mm)
    3. Tuning down in the middle of a set sucks, especially when your amp doesn't have a mute switch.
    4. Playing in Eb is easier when I'm playing a gig with horns.
    5. Switching back to a 4 makes the neck seem tiny

No reason to hate on 4's or 5's.

Dr Gero likes this.
  19. mas502arc

mas502arc

May 14, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    I sort of get what you mean...but in the opposite way :D

I think that 4 string necks look 'too thin' in comparison to the rest of the body, and it looks like it could snap or something. Being an art/design student, the aesthetics of the disproportion sticks out to me. 5/6 strings necks look 'just right' and they look a little 'meatier' therefore 'manlier'. But that's just how my weird brain works... lol

2 years after I started out on a 4-er, I got a Lakland 5-er. The transition was surprisingly easy. And I can switch back and forth without any effort.

Dr Gero likes this.
  20. Codymb

Codymb

Mar 26, 2007
    Burlington, NC
    This is a discussion that I've never understood. I play a 6er so I hear it often and it always confuses me.

There are endless reasons to choose to play any number of string combinations, in the end it all boils down to what is best suited for you. Frankly, I think "to each his own" should be a good enough reason for anyone. In fact, it's been in my experience that the 4 string elitist thing is just a traditionalist mentality. People prefer 4 strings simply because the first (and still most common) basses had 4 strings, but if basses had started out with 6 strings those same people would be hating on guys with 7 strings or 8 strings. Inversely, if basses started out with just one string those same guys would be hating on the guys with 2 strings or 3 strings.

Finally, if I have to hear the "Jaco only needed 4" argument one more time I'm going to flip out. Let's set the record straight right now. Jaco owned, played, and enjoyed 5 strings as well. So just stop it now. Furthermore, I bet that if someone had handed Jaco a 6 string bass he would have done truly incredible things with it.

Dr Gero likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021