More than four string hate?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Time Consumer, Feb 17, 2010.

1. I have a 6 and a 4, but no 5s. I have no idea why. : )

Id have told her that its because ppl acuse me of showing off when I play my Custom 3 string basses, then watch the confused look on his face when she tells him.

Dr Gero likes this.
  2. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    1. I don't hate Sting. Great playing with the Police. ;)

2. It's partly image. Playing a five-string makes you look like a fancy-pants. A wannabe virtuoso. A jazzbo.

I'd rather be a traditional rocker.

3. I communicated with a TB member who is a singing bassist front man locally... He was looking to step up front and let someone else play bass. His music sounded fun (old school pop/alt/punk stuff) and he was real local so I asked for a try out.

He checked out my website, saw my basses (up to 7 strings) and immediately shot me down since I obviously didn't fit. Never mind the fact that a lot of my influences were the same.

Dr Gero likes this.
  4. What a douche!

Dr Gero likes this.
  5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    My Dog Sam Eats Purple Flowers
    As long as I can have 5 strings and a preamp I'll take a p-bass!

b%20009.jpg

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I see a lot of cragslist bass wanted ads that say "if your bass has more than 4 strings, don't bother." I take it for what it is. Some poeple only want guys with long hair in their bands too.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    here's what i don't get...leaving money on the table because someone else wants you to play a different bass than what you like. i don't like playing 5's but if a gig demands a 5, i'm not going to lose money over it. i'm going to trot out my one and only 5. what's the big deal? yeah, so they're prejudiced against a 7-string. at the end of the day, they'll find who they're looking for and you won't have a gig that night.

that is, if they really have gigs ;)

8. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Thoroughly Nice Guy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Read below...

Sounds like the guy didn't even get a chance to audition because some of the basses on his website had more strings than the auditioner wanted to see on stage for whatever reason. As described, that's not his fault in any way, shape or form.

Exactly. The sort of person who'd jump to that kind of conclusion probably doesn't have much work anyhow. Who'd want to play with/listen to him?

Dr Gero likes this.
  9. Time Consumer

Time Consumer

Jan 27, 2008
    Joliet Ill.
    Lol, I have no idea why all these folks are comin outta the woodwork lately but I had a bar show thursday where some guy came up to me after a lil soundcheck, announced himself as a bassist and told me I need to turn up, when my ears after walkin out in front as far as my cord will reach and out manager standing at the other side of the room led me to believe the mix was good. After he told me that and it was obvious I was blowing him off he hit me with the ol "but what do I know", I just walked away. Not much to do with strings but in the same vein as the op.

Dr Gero likes this.
  10. Flyingaero

Flyingaero

Jan 12, 2010
    I wasnt a fan of anything more than 4 either until I got a 5 string for cheap. Its more traditional and common but I think a lot of people would change their mind if they got a few hours with one

Dr Gero likes this.
  11. obsession600

obsession600

Mar 13, 2007
    NYC
    I'm willing to bet that the husband did not send the wife up to give you grief. I think she probably took it upon herself to see if she could start some sh!t between her husband and the band's bass player. Some women love drama and a lot of them seem to hang out in bars.

12. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    No 5-string hate my way, yet. But I keep getting asked why I didn't buy a Fender or Gibson. I cannot stand equipment snobbery.

Dr Gero likes this.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    i have to admit that i'm not totally against the idea. some bands are going for a look, and it does help them do their thing and book more gigs if you can look like you belong in the same band.

14. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

I use 4's, my friend uses a 5 and a 6. It's no big deal. The band he was in, the guitarist tuned down to drop D a lot and he preferred just using a 5 string.

Dr Gero likes this.
  15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    lol, so the guy had his -wife- come up to ask you? wonder if he belongs on talkbass. maybe she posts for him too.

:eyebrow: half the range of my 7's is outside the range of a standard 4. there's no amount of hand moving on a 4 string that's going to compensate for that, unless its moving your hand over to a keyboard :).

i've only played 7's and 8's since 1993 and i've never been into tapping.

Dr Gero likes this.
  16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, and that goes both ways. i'd pull out my old fender if the gig was right and the pay was decent. if i'm someone else's employee, i'll wear whatever "uniform" they want me to wear, with a smile, or i won't take the job.

17. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

I've actually never liked P-basses. If I'm going to play a Fender, it's gonna be a Jazz Bass. :cool:

18. IME, if you play mostly rock, top 40 tunes, or most mainstream genres, a 4 banger should do you fine. However, with most modern rock/metal, jazz fusion, gospel, etc., if you don't have at least a low B then you're going to be limited.

The trends of basses and bassists has been gravitating mostly towards 5+ strings over the last 20 years. Music writers and producers have recognized the tonal benefits of having the low B-Eb notes in their music and it's been catching on rather steadily. Yeah sure, some guys can get along just fine with a 4 banger but those who aren't closed minded enough to try a 5'er will more than likely own one in the next few years. Just my opinion, mind you.

Dr Gero likes this.
  19. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

I play modern metal and I get along just fine with a standard 4 string. 5 strings are good, but I don't think they're absolutely necessary.

20. boomtisk

boomtisk

Nov 24, 2009
    Germany
    They probably don't know most bass players use fivers to be able to play lower notes and assume more strings means they want to play higher and want to solo all the time. Either that, or they belong to the type of "musicians" who think five strings look "dorky" for some reason. I'm not sure which of those assumptions is more asinine.

Dr Gero likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 21, 2021