More than four string hate?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Time Consumer, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Time Consumer

Time Consumer

Jan 27, 2008
    Joliet Ill.
    Yeah, I think a lot of people look at someone who plays a 5 or 6 or 7 as someone who will show off and not stay in pocket, which just isn't true but this is what they believe.

Dr Gero likes this.
  2. harry182

harry182

Nov 28, 2009
    England

My thoughts exactly!

i have 2 standard four strings, and been playing with a band recently who play a little heavyer stuff then i do, Its freeking annoying detuning your E string to either D or B and even then, it sounds a bit out when when you go to play notes on the A string with it!

I really want a 5 string and trying to save a few pennies to get one, Part of it is lazyness but the most part is to try something new and almost unknown!

The wifes bloke sounds like one of those guys who hasnt grown up and points at bands on TV and says ohh they must be miming that! or im better then them because i dont use a pick type bloke!

Ignore them, theyll stay stuck at the level there currently at untill they learn to open up to new things!

3. spunj13

spunj13

May 14, 2007
    niles, mi
    i have a fours, five, six stringers... and each gets used for different things.
    my metal band uses more diversity (thus needing both 5 and 6, as i range all the way up the fretboard on them)
    but my post-rock band doesn't need any more than a four string jazz.
    people still give me crap about the number of strings though. (or the fact that i usually play Ibanez, until i picked up a Jazz recently, which ... for the first time in my life... i actually like playing a fender)

on the other hand
    let's see that guy play THIS with a four string.
    (somebody else's homemade 10 stringer...)

Dr Gero likes this.
  4. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Use the bottom four strings of a five string set and string one of your 4strings BEAD. Problem solved.

5. Technicolor

Technicolor

Feb 23, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Like the 10 string vid.. sounds like Necrophagist.

I just ordered a 6 string myself.. an Ibanez BTB776. Haven't owned an Ibanez since my first bass, so we'll see how it treats me. ZZsounds has a great return policy so I took a chance with ordering something I haven't played.

A friend of mine had a 7 string. The high F seemed almost useless except for chordal work, which I just did not have the left hand for. I got the sixer because I would like to use arpeggiated chords and chords based on harmonics in a 3 piece fusion setting. I like the low for color and percussion in slapping.

There is no right or wrong number of strings. I once played a gig with 3!

Dr Gero likes this.
  6. People that are opposed to extended range Basses always crack me up.

The painting analogy illustrates it for me. Instruments, whatever they are - are used to create the musical painting. If one instrument allows you to do that, then great. Picking up a 5 String or a 6 String (and I own both) can give you a different approach, different sound - another color. Artists don't use one brush - I can't see limiting expression to one instrument (but will not knock anyone for that choice).

Some of the pluses are: If you are attempting anything of color in the high register - have those extra notes are great - being able to cover more ground in one position is also great. Chord solo pieces sound great on a 6 string bass. Also, for composing - you can write a pretty complete song on a 6 string - fleshing out the different parts. Finally - I love use of the low B to play a fretted low E or Eb and walking up to low E is nice option depending on the Song. Bouncing of that low B for emphasis and at certain points in a song - sounds great used tastefully.

I just think you have some more options and I still play my 4 Strings - although less and less because I like the tone or sonority the 35 inch scale brings - my longer scale 5 and 6 strings sound huge even if I never venture below low E and I miss that when playing the 4 String.

I still love to play the 4 Strings - I rotate between, the Lakland 5, Spector 6, P-Bass with Flats, Jazz or my Spector PJ 4.

Most great players dabble with a little everything even though they may have a single favorite instrument. If you have a complete studio you could have a whole arsenal at your disposal - approaching the music with a different Bass or another instrument can bring a different perspective and spark something unique that you may not venture into otherwise.

I wish everyone could be as free and open about it as the Music itself - it has no boundaries and does not impose any really - only we do that.

IMO and IME of course.

7. Technicolor

Technicolor

Feb 23, 2009
    Newark, DE
    +1,000 Honk'n. That covers the bass approach and musical stylings in general. Or at least the way they should be covered...

8. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Indeed. Lots of bassists use different equipment than I do. It would be boring if we all used the same instruments and equipment to make music.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    regardless, if a decent paying regular gig comes along and they want you to play a 4 instead of a 5, i still think it's crazy to turn it down on principle. principle doesn't feed the baby.

10. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Depends if you have a baby, I guess.

I don't.

Also, what if they want you to use a bass that you don't have? I'd be screwed if someone asked me to use a Fender P or a Musicman Stingray. I don't own one of either.

Now, if they offered to buy me whatever kind of bass they wanted me to use, then sure.

Dr Gero likes this.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    then what you tell them is, "sorry but i don't have one, but i'll be happy to play anything you can provide me one until i can get my own."

btw, this is why i feel every working bassist looking to freelance should own a precision or jazz, even if they hate them. sooner or later someone's going to want you (i'm referring to the royal "you," not you specifically) to play one, and for some very good gigs it might be a deal breaker if you don't.

and also btw, not everyone who wants you to play a different bass does it just because of the look. you can get all uppity about it if you want, but don't think it's always about looks. heard some mighty expensive basses that don't sound too hot, you know ;)

12. Knifedge

Knifedge

Jan 24, 2009
    I spent far too much of my own time figuring out what suited my playing and my ears to worry about what anyone else is playing for a bass or a rig. I got into 5 strings out of necessity (my first tour was with a country band who's songs were written in either D or C, and was recorded with the bass in the low register).

Typically I find those who have to make comments about any musician on stage is insecure about their own playing.. if they cannot pick apart your playing or technique, then they will pick on your choice of bass or your sound (or tone). It was mentioned earlier in this thread that the "hubby" was immature in making such comments.. I would add a little jealousy in that soup as well.. :)

13. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

If they want me to play a broom handle with a couple strings nailed on, I will, if they provide it.

Long term, I think I may get a Fender Jazz eventually. Mostly because I know that Rickenbackers are such a "love it or hate it" kind of bass, whereas Jazz basses sound somewhat similar and don't piss nearly as many people off, and I like Jazz basses. But that'll be down the road, as I'm currently a student and after an expensive amp purchase I have no money. I can always borrow my friend's J-bass in the meantime, if it's absolutely necessary for some gig with a nice paycheck that wants me to play a Fender.

And of course it's sometimes about sound. If one auditioned for a old school motown style group, a request that one play a Fender type bass wouldn't be at all unexpected.

14. Time Consumer

Time Consumer

Jan 27, 2008
    Joliet Ill.
    Even with the whole fender j bass issue, I really dont want one, I want a j style bass but not a fender. I really want a g&l L2500 cuz I love the tone of those basses, if that aint fender j enough for some people then so be it, lol.

15. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    HAHAHA, what a dippoopie. I only play 4s and probably always will, but that's because I've been playing for 20 years, and I'm really too set in my ways / lazy to try it out. I've never needed more, but to hate on someone who plays 5 string is absolutely ********. He probably felt his manhood was threatened by you, and thought his wife was digging on you. Sounds like a case of extreme insecurity to me.

Dr Gero likes this.
  16. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    I keep waiting for this to happen in my own career; it hasn't yet, but most of my paying work has been in the studio or for people who had heard me play already, and knew that I wouldn't stomp all over their tunes just because I have more strings.

I've borrowed someone else's j-bass on occasion, when I thought image was important, but eventually I'm sure someone will make it a condition of employment; every working bassist I know has a Fender lurking in their closet somewhere, regardless of what they play day-to-day. One of these days, I'll have to pick up that '62 reissue I've been eyeing...

And yeah, I've met a few artists who like the way their band sounds with a Fender P or J. They don't want to mess with the mix or risk having their soundman adjusting for a three-band onboard EQ. They like the way the band sounds with a P or J, no matter what they think of one's playing or the awesome tone their custom axe puts out. They're selling a product, and don't want to mess with success by adding an active 6 string Alembic/Fodera/Warrior/Whatever into their sound.

17. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    for the most part, people have been cool when asking/commenting on my 6-string, but i got some funny looks from a couple of the other bassists on the bill on friday's gig when they saw my bass...i'm often the only bass player on the bill playing an instrument with more than 4 strings

i occasionally play my passive 4-string jazz, but i just really really like the sound and feel of my 6, so i enjoy playing it when some setlists don't make a lot of use of the high C or even the low B--it's just more comfortable for me and i'm the kind of person who really likes having 'the one' that i used the heck out of rather than a lot of different instruments for specific things

Dr Gero likes this.
  18. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    I've been fortunate, I suppose. In 20 years of playing, I've never had a single person cast aspersions at any of my choice of basses, be they 4, 5, 6, fretted, fretless, pointy, non-Fender, or what-have-you. I played a country gig once with my parents in a small town where all the rest of the ensemble players shared a Baldwin and played through an old Vox amp. I brought a 6 string fretless and a 410. One older fellow told me he'd never seen a bass like that but "sure did like the way it sounded". Bass choice has simply been a non-issue, for me.

Dr Gero likes this.
  19. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    One thing ive noticed that the guys ive heard rag on 5'ers all seem to slap "overhand" like fieldy. This means that they can no longer slap the E without hitting the B. So I guess for their technique the 4 string is what works for them.
    I play a 6 mainly because I like options... I like to tastefully use the B string for when Im playing a line and sometimes want to substitute a note for an octave down version of it. Ya know... like playing a G, A, C, line on a 4 string but occassionaly hit the C down low just to change it up.
    I also like the 6 string for doing chords so it comes in handy.

The bottom line? 99.999% of the time when somebody hates on someone for an instrument its because they are trying to make themselves feel better. usually for not being able to play that instrument.

Dr Gero likes this.
  20. Thanks - just another man's opinion!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021