More than four strings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Jan 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    Basses with more than four strings, i do not see the point? i mean they look rally cool, but i mean i have never really seen the point of them,cos u dont seem many people playing them even some of the BEST bass players dont use them, e.g.Flea, John Entwistle. The come back may be 'u can get lots of variation' but you can get that with four strings, with bass chords and slap & pop etc...i mean i just dont get it
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'd put on my Nomex panties, if I were you...
  3. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Gimme a break, Patrick. Just deal with it.
  4. lotsa people still play 4's becuase thats all they need, either they're music isn't that exploratory (doesn't mean bad) or they just feel at home on 4's. MOST people will by an extended string bass to allow them to transpose easier or solo higher or something, thats why quite a few session players and professional cover band bassists can be seen with 5,6, and 7 stings.
    just imagine what kinda stuff jaco would be doin if was still with us...what with 5's 6's and 7's etc.

5. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i'm a 4 string players. it's all i need. but i'm not a pro. when you deal with a pro, you have to keep in mind that 5 string is the standard today. and this is nothing exceptional. think this way: you play the piano and now you have the same piano with a larger number of white shiny thing to beat. that's great!! you'll have to be upset is the standard of the future will be a 3 strings bass...

6. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    i stared on 4's, and now play 5's exclusively. i prefer the more substantial neck in my hands, as well as the B string as a thumbrest. however, my main reason for playing a 5 isnt the solo capabilities (i prefer to just sit back, relax, and groove) its simply i am addicted to those low frequencies that are known to shake ones internal organs. have a nice day :)
  7. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    The "point" is basically two points.

1. Extended range
    2. Less position shifting.
  8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    For a perfect example of what can be done with more than 4 strings, click on the link on John Turner's signature. Do that on a 4 string!

I play a 5 string because I like the extended range and the fact that I don't have to change my position on the fretboard as much.

And besides, if 4 is good, then 5 must be better, right??;)

And do ya wanna know something?? Flea DOES play a 5 string sometimes. Sorry to burst your bubble.
  9. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Well, just because you don't "get it" now, Patrick, doesn't mean you won't wake up and "get it" later. Keep your ears open and maybe it'll come to you.
  10. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    To some it just feels more comfortable. I started on a 5er. I can play a four but a fatter neck with that added string just is more comfortable to me. Its nice to be able to play e fifth fret rather than an open e, the sound is very different. It can add emphases in spots where that’s needed.
  11. Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I Play both without a problem I just think people
    are have fear of 5 and above . While they are not
    for everbody the thing that kept me away was stories that I heard from other people . When I got my Stingray 5 it took me a about a week to get comfortble with it. Now I switch between the 4
    and 5 all the time with out any problems.
  12. Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
    A chord sounds so good on a six or a five with a high C.
  13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you're absolutely right. more than 4 suck.
  14. less than four's even better.
    Bill Dickens has seen the light!

15. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....(and so on)
  16. Shut it. There is a point to more than four Pat. Deal with it.
  17. Ok, I'll let you guys in on a secret - this 'more than 4 string' thing, it's a conspiracy. The string manufacturers are in cahoots ... you know... just to sell more strings. Pat is absolutely right - THERE'S NO POINT TO HAVING MORE THAN 4! Oh, one other thing (in case y'all didn't know), Jaco only needed 4. ;)

(Someone had to say it..... again.)
  18. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Flea hasn't played a 5-string since the recording of Blood Sugar Sex Magik and he has never played a 5-string live.
  19. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    But he DID. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.