More than one band?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bassJ725, Sep 6, 2004.

1. bassJ725

Jul 7, 2004
    Ok Im in one band already but in my area people are very desperate for a good bassist. I was wondering if I get a good offer if I should go for it. My band right now is on our way to recording our first demo/albulm and they(besides school family and religion) are my main devotion of my time. What should I do?
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Do your thing, but be careful. At one time, I was in 6 (!) bands at once, and I got burned out on bass playing period. Pace yourself, and you'll be fine, especially if they're playing different types of music.
  3. HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    I am currently playing for a 'mainstream' type rock band. Last week I got together with an old buddy (guitarist) of mine and a drummer he knew and we had a jam session for the heck of it. I thought what came out of it was pretty promising and my buddy and the drummer basically told me they wanted me to start a band with them. I'm fairly stoked about the whole thing because the off-the-cuff style of music is more enjoyable to me.

I want to play for both bands but I know time will be an issue. At the same time, I realize that playing for both bands will make me a better musician by forcing me to expand my playing that had slowly crept into 'one-dimensional' land. I find some of my creativity stifled by my rock band (especially since the guitarist only wants to work on songs he writes) so I'm looking forward to double duty. I think a third band would be too labor intensive though.
  4. I think you should go ahead and give a different band a try. If you like the way things are going with your current band make sure you devote most of the time to them. The fun thing about joining another band is that you get to play with other musicians and the song writing process might be different which could make it a challenge to yourself and it will only make you a better bass player. So my advice would be to go for it but just make sure you're in two bands because more than two would seem to be a bit too much and could be very difficult.
  5. I have been in 3 bands at once: 2 covers and a acid jazz/ groove band. It's a full time living for me so I gotta work. point being, if you work in another band, make shure you tell them exactly what your priorities are in regards to your 1st band and family ect, that way the new band know exactly where you stand, and they can't pull the, man, this guy is a lollygager 3 months into the new band. If you tell the new band they arnet the first priority, well its up to them to decide then. Also, it will put your main band's mind at ease, cos you have clearly laid down the conditions to the other bands.
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If you like to play a LOT, multiple bands makes it easy.

Most I have been in simultaneously is four, right now I'm in two plus do a lot of freelancing. Even though I do this part time, I usually have at least two gigs a week and many weeks have four or five.

The main advantage for me is that I get to play a wide variety of music, more than any one band could play. This past week I played some blues, some Irish and some Cajun.

Like puttz buster wrote, let each band know your priorities up front and keep a good calendar so you don't end up with lots of schedule conflicts.

Good luck.
  7. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    I'm in 2 bands, but in one I play drums. I don't think I could play bass in 2 bands without getting burned out. I do fill in on bass quite a bit with other bands, but that's just once in a while.
  8. I'm officially in two bands, and I have a metal project which is slow but progressing, and I do some freelance work as well. And I do have a day job! But of course, I don't have a family, so I have plenty of time for them all.
  9. Hey ombudsman, is Anita dark part of the 'private' crew? ;)
    P.s.- 10 points for the juicer!
  10. Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    I am currently playing bass for 2 bands. Both are contemporary Christian. One is young (except for me), they are very talented but have day jobs, kids and a light schedule for music. The other is all my age, all playing music for more than 30 years. I would follow them to another planet if such a gig comes along.
  11. No, she's just a groupie, and she won't leave me alone! ;)
  12. Damd, I am going to have to bring our band over and invade your gigs, to get joy like that!!

13. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    How much time have you got in your week once you've taken care of all your existing commitments? If you're not sure how it would all fit together, how about looking at some short term projects rather than committing to an ongoing group?

14. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Go for it, if you've got the time. I'd love to be in a second band, but it'd take some pretty creative scheduling for me to do it.
  15. bassJ725

Jul 7, 2004
    O and by the way im in the marching band too...
  16. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if you can swing it, are up front with all parties about your intentions, discuss the additional reponsibilities with your family (if applicable), then you should be ok
    i have a hard time with a band/bandleader feeling like they own you and that you are "cheating" if you play with someone else - my current bandleader is a good friend, but he can get a bit overbearing when it comes to that, so i have to keep him in check from time to time
    it's one thing if you're in a band that's hell bent to "make it", get signed, etc, but for 99% of us, that's just not the case