1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

More than one band?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Clydesauce, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Clydesauce

Clydesauce

May 12, 2012
    Recently I auditioned for a new band and they said they had a tought decision between me and another person and about 3 weeks later they called me and told me I am the guy. I was so happy I said yes but I forgot that recently 2 buds and I decided to start our own project. I haven't told either yet but now I am committed to two bands. Is this a bad thing and what sound I do?

2. BassFrends

BassFrends

Mar 9, 2011
    Carvin Affiliate
    It depends on the situations and what you want to get out of them. If the band that you auditioned for is already somewhat established (songs written/covers learned, gigs booked), than that would be your main priority. If the "2 buds" you started a band with are ok with you having a band that takes precedence over that project, than I say go for it.

Best thing to do is just be up front about it though and see how everyone feels. I'm a freelance musician so I'm always in 10 bands at a time lol.

3. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    If you have the time and dedication, go for it. I'm playing in 3 bands as of right now.

4. Clydesauce

Clydesauce

May 12, 2012
    Well my friends are really serious about playing and so is the other band. I think I will let my friends know of the opportunity but as well play with them.

5. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    This

6. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    2 originals bands should be no problem.

2 gigging cover bands,potential problem.

blue

7. If both work frequently enough, then you have a dilemma. I am fortunate, in that the BL of my main band is aware of my secondary band, since BL sometimes works for secondary's BL as sound guy. That's how we met, to begin with. Secondary is more of a hired gun situation, in which BL has a pool of players to cull from, and uses multiple brand names, depending on the gig format, lineup configuration, etc. Of course, at my age, it's coverbandland, since you are washed-up on the originals scene by your mid-30's (and that is if you are exceptional; the original market is really geared towards the under-25 crowd).

8. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    True, even when you look at legendary icons, Beatles, Stones, they all made it before age 25.

I mention it because it's hard for younger TBers to realize these 70 year holds were once young guys.

9. +1 to the post that said if you have the time and dedication, go for it.

I'm in two steady projects at the moment, with 2 more in the works. I've had the opportunity to chat with Victor Wooten a few times when he's been in town for shows and the advice he gave that stuck with me the most was this: play with as many people as you can.

I've lived by those words ever since.

EDIT: Obviously you don't want to overextend yourself and turn into a stress-ball who's in way too many groups, so watch out for that! Also, I've only played with people I deemed worthy of playing with--people who aren't just going to waste my time and effort.

10. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I think a lot of this depends on what formal commitments you made to the two first guys. If you never said you'd stick with them no matter how long it takes to get something commercially viable going, then I think you're good to go with the newer band. You can still help the other two guys out until they find a replacement. I've done this several times in the past as a gesture of goodwill.