Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More than one bass...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by walkinbass, Feb 21, 2003.

1. walkinbass

walkinbass

Sep 19, 2002
    I'm looking for a better way to handle two or more basses on a gig. It takes too long to turn down, unplug switch bass, plug in, turn sound up ... adjust ...etc.

Is there anything wrong with the idea of having each bass set up with it's own cord, plugged into a little mackie 1202 and then send the singnal from the mackie to the bass head (GK1000RB) ?

I could hit the mute for channel that a bass is plugged into on the mackie .... switch bass... unmute new bass channel....

I could already have levels set, could use the mackie eq if needed for each bass....

One would want to be careful not to over load the GK....

Thoughts on this? Cautions?, pros and cons.... ???

(I have a 1202 sitting around the studio that doesn't get much use anymore... just brain storming....)

2. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    get a doubleneck, if not that just duct tape the 2 basses together! :D

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    get this!

[​IMG]

raven labs MDB-01

can plug three basses in, all w/adjustable gain, mute switch, direct box, effects loop...

i have one, it freaking ROCKS.

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Maybe a Whirlwind "Selector" or Morley "AB/Y" pedal?
    Build one yourself :). Get a couple Fulltone 3PDT switches
    from StewMac, some LED's, a sturdy enclosure, etc.

5. I use a Sabine RT-7100 rack mounted tuner that is ALSO a great A-B box allowing inputs from 2 basses and outputs to two different amp/preamps. The tuner section is great and it's quiet.

6. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
  7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Why spend money is you've got a mackie desk handy. I say use it.

But be careful because your effectively running through 2 pre-amps instead of the usual 1. Try and run the gain knob on the mackie as low as possible. I get the impression your 2 bases are very different to each other. When using the bass with the strongest signal, run the gain knob as far to the left as it will go. That should make the input gain the same as plugging straight into the GK. Boost the gain on the weaker bass but not too much. I don't want you to clip your input signal and damage speakers.

8. The output level of the Mackie will be MUCH higher than most bass signals, so you'll have to be careful not so overdrive your input with too much signal from the board. It should work otherwise, although I doubt you can get the level low enough to keep from overdriving the GK's input.

9. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    For $40 pick up a DOD (or whatever brand) A/B pedal. They do the trick.

10. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    I use my sabine rackmount tuner for my 2, works great.

11. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
    a simple A/B box will do the trick without emptying your wallet

12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    And if you want to switch basses easily, put one on a stand, like Michael Manring does.

13. Wownirvana

Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    I play through a wireless system and make sure all my basses have schaller straplocks on them so when I want to switch I just unplug the wireless and put the strap on a different bass. The A/B thing is a cool idea but could result in very bad things with tangled cords.

14. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Nah and A/B box won't work in this situation. He seems to have 2 very different basses with different outputs and different EQ requirements. He need more level and tone control than an A/B would offer.