1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

More than one knob to one cap?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sundown1206, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if I could hook up two tone knobs and one master tone knob to one capacitor. The setup I want is Master Volume stacked to Master Tone, Volume stacked to Tone for pickup 1, then Volume stacked to Tone for pickup 2. Thanks for the help guys.

EDIT: I have one more question.. For pots, which lug is the input, output, and ground? I thought the center was input but this site on the net says the left is the input the center the out and the right the ground. Again, thanks for any help guys and sorry for being a noob lol

2. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    unusual setup, but you could use one capacitor for 3 tone controls, the down side is the level of tone adjustment on one will affect the tone of the other knobs.
    You might as well just have one tone control as ones on each pickup will all do overall tone unless you used active circuitry with buffers.

3. The tone controls are going to interact with each other whether you have one cap or two. The idea of having tones on each pickup plus a master is not only redundant, but not possible either.

4. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    What exactly do you mean? Sorry I'm a little slow lol

5. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    So, it's basically pointless? Would it be better to just stick to a master or two separate ones?

6. It's better to just use a master tone control.

When you have two tones in a passive setup, when you turn both volumes up, the tones will both act as masters.

7. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    Ahh I get it thank you. Would you mind answering the question I added in in the edit of the original post? I'd appreciate it

8. Are you talking about volumes or tones?

For a tone, you are only using the pot as a variable resistor, not a voltage divider, so it doesn't matter which terminal is which, so long as the connections are made to terminals two and three.

For a volume, it depends on whether you have one or two volumes. If you are using two volumes, the pickup's hot goes to terminal two, terminal one is the output, and terminal three is ground. If you only have one volume, you can wire the wiper terminal to the output to avoid the variable impedance loading effect that you get by wiring the wiper to the pickup with two volumes. With one volume, you wire the pickup's hot to terminal one, the output to terminal two, and terminal three is a ground.

For reference, these are the terminal numbers as they relate to the pot:
    4156944776_05d4eab872_o.

9. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    So what would I do if I have lets say three volumes, One is a master volume the next is for pickup one and the next is for pickup two?

10. Wire the pickup hots to the wiper terminals (terminal two) for the individual volumes, and then wire the output of those two volumes (terminal one) to terminal one of the master and use terminal two as the output.

11. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    Ohh okay. And then the third terminal on the three pots go to the pots shell, then to ground?

12. Well, the chassis of each pot should be grounded, either through the control plate, or with a ground wire across the back.

13. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    Alright, but what about the third terminal of each pot? Do they always have to be grounded? if yes or no, why?

14. The third terminal of the volume pots needs to be grounded.

15. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    Ok. Thanks a lot Mr.6 lol I'm sorry for the stupid questions, but on the bright side, I'll never have to ask them again. Thanks again

16. These are all legitimate questions, don't worry about it.