More traffic dummies

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by two fingers, Aug 1, 2019.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    So, we've covered those *cough* "wonderful people" who are emotionally and/or mentally INCAPABLE of driving the speed limit.

Now, let's talk about the turn lane.

There is a right way and a wrong way to turn when there is a turn lane.

Do NOT slow down to a crawl in the regular lane before entering the turn lane. The WHOLE POINT of the turn lane is to get the heck out of the way and allow traffic to continue flowing at the speed limit (or however fast the other dummies will let you go).

The proper way is to fade into the turn lane and THEN hit the brakes. Thay way the rest of us can continue on as if you weren't there.

More Prius and Buick drivers this morning. :banghead: Elderly dipsticks slowing way down HUNDREDS of yards before getting into the turn lane.

Man, it's getting bad out here. The majority of streets in this town are 45 mph. And it's RARE that I can ever get up to speed.

We need to begin construction on some sort of retirement community outside of town so the antique humans don't have to come to town and gunk up the works. :wacky:

kobass, catcauphonic, dwm74 and 2 others like this.
  2. Mktrat

Mktrat Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore?

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    :smug:
    Rough mornin' Toofer?

OldDog52, MonetBass, Kriegs and 2 others like this.
  3. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Then there are the drivers who cross 2, 3, or even 4 lanes of the street they're entering when they turn. The proper procedure is to turn into the lane nearest you.

Do people these days even take driver's Ed? Or do they just go down to the DMV and
    get their license?

4. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    I feel you. But there are way too many turn lanes that are too short. I drive a 1 ton truck and on some there is no way I can maintain speed and still stop in the turn lane.

Let's talk about tailgating next...

Mktrat likes this.
  5. Mktrat

Mktrat Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore?

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    This is on my way home everyday......:banghead::banghead::banghead::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::sour::sour::sour::mad::mad::mad:

[​IMG]

6. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    I've always said drivers licenses should be harder to get and easier to lose. Like those wanting to be a pilot, everyone should have to go through an accredited driving course and only get a license if they really qualify.
    One DWI and you become a pedestrian. Same if you cause a crash. For other offenses, an accumulative point system. Once you hit x points, you join the drunks for a stroll.
    The climate change zealots should love this. Do you know how many cars this would get off the road?

MJ5150, Jim Nazium, Oddly and 2 others like this.
  7. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    diverging_diamond.PNG

These are showing up a lot around here. This eliminates the left turn on over-passes. It is amazing at how much this improved this interchange. Before this was installed, this intersection backed up all day long. Took you two or three light cycles to get over the interstate. Now, the intersection is almost always empty. And according to the city, more traffic goes through this intersection than before.

It is funny and sad when these open as there is like a two month period when people are freaked out about it and drive on the wrong side.

8. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Never happen.

Driving, regulating, fueling, enforcement revenue, selling, maintaining and manufacturing of automobiles is likely the single largest segment of the US economy.

The city, county, state and federal governments tap each one of these facets to float general fund and infrastructure obligations.

I promise there is not a single elected official that gives a tinker’s damn that twofer’s blood pressure is negatively affected by his daily commute.

two fingers likes this.
  9. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    THAT we can agree on.

It's gonna come to a head in my area at some point though. We're growing like CRAZY... almost TOO fast. I work in a medium-sized town that is surrounded by almost nothing..... very rural areas. So, the country elderly have to "come to town to spend the egg money". All granny has to do ALL DAY is run a few errands. Her Prius or Buick has never gone over 35 mph. And she's (quite simply) in the way.

A compromise I would get down with would be a restricted time driver's license. She (and people like her) can't drive between 6 and 9 a.m. or 3 and 5 p.m.

They cause wrecks DAILY here. I know a few local cops who pretty much assume any crash scene they show up to will involve at least one elderly driver. They are simply INCAPABLE of driving in city traffic. So they shouldn't.

Before you pounce on me, I tell my own mother the same thing. She's 71 and drives like she's 150. Her Chevy Traverse gets a tank of gas maybe every three weeks. She goes to her mother's house and the grocery store and that's about it. I have told her (even in her small town) to stay off the streets during commuter hours. She's gonna get herself, or somebody else, killed. My dad had gotten to the point of hiding her keys until mid morning. She just gets confused and acts as though she misplaced them. :wacky: But it's for the good of the community. :D

dwm74, Mktrat and catcauphonic like this.
  10. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Saw a bumper sticker last week that said:
    I drive this way just to piss you off.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    fhm555, kobass, JRA and 3 others like this.
  11. slobake

driving.gif

kobass and two fingers like this.
  12. slobake

bad driver.jpg

kobass, JRA, Gaolee and 1 other person like this.
  13. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Yea, why no semi annual retests starting at a certain age of about 65? It's a well known fact that vision, hearing, and other bodily functions begin to deteriorate with age starting in the 40s.

Life comes full circle during the aging process. While some will remain sharp in the mind til the end, the norm is that eventually elderly folks need to be looked after similar to children. If an 8yo isn't fit to operate a motor vehicle, neither are a lot of 88year olds.

GregC, dwm74, MJ5150 and 1 other person like this.
  14. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Don't get me started with people driving in my city! :rage::mad::spit::banghead::rollno:o_O:poop:

However if I must, what annoys me the most right now since it's Summer time aka the time of orange barrels and lane/street closures is that they put up signs that a lane is closing ahead and people wait until the absolute last minute to try to get over and then expect you to stop and let them over because they were too stupid to read or see the lane closed 100 yards or more ahead. It slows down traffic tremendously! Problem is if you don't stop they'll cut you off and almost hit you anyways. What also annoys me is there is hardly ever any crews working so road projects get blocked off and sit for weeks or months before they start any work.

Das Jugghead likes this.
  15. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    @catcauphonic for President!!! :hyper:

Gaolee, Mktrat and catcauphonic like this.
  16. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    While I completely agree, I would argue for every "antique" driver on the road there are many more millennials with no clue of what a passing lane is or how to use it. Given they were handed everything their entire short lives they plant themselves in the passing lane as if it's just natural that others get out of their way.
    Old man rant over, I'll see myself out.

Das Jugghead, dwm74, Mktrat and 3 others like this.
  17. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    You ain't wrong.

2saddleslab likes this.
  18. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    You are correct, but reality not withstanding, it would help in a lot of ways.

fhm555, MJ5150 and two fingers like this.
  19. slobake

Driving around the San Francisco Bay Area must be a different experience than what @two fingers has. For one thing there aren't too many oldsters in San Francisco. Most people seem to be between the ages of 25 to 45. If I do encounter oldsters doing the speed limit on the freeway I have patience and try and imagine what it will be like if I live long enough to get where they are at. I don't tailgate or honk but pass them when it is safe, no problem. I try and remember that everyone in the world doesn't think they have to get out of my way because I have a steering wheel in my hands.
    Has nothing to do with age or generations. There are bad drivers and good drivers in all generations.
    Yup, I am older now and have slowed down a little. I might only do 10 mph over the speed limit on the freeway instead of 20 mph over, if that was legal. Of course if I was to do that I wouldn't drive in the fast lane so folks who want to drive 20 mph or more over the speed limit can do that in the left lane.
    Nope, don't slow down before turn lanes. There may come a time when it is prudent to give up my license but that time is not here yet.
    I have also noticed that the BMW drivers with a sense of privilege have been replaced by Tesla drivers. The new kings and queens of the road. :rolleyes: Was waiting for Mrs. slo in a parking lot the other day. Watched a guy in a Tesla cursing and swearing at other drivers while he was driving and talking on his phone. Maybe he was upset because they interrupted his conversation.

20. You mentioned something called "turn lanes." What are those? Around here, we have "passing lanes" in the center of the streets. I'm not sure why they have curved arrows painted on them. On the outside, there are areas (marked with curved arrows) for pedestrians. No, sidewalks are not for pedestrians, they are for bike riders.

two fingers likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021