1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

More transparent than the Markbass LMII?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jzucker, Apr 23, 2009.

1. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Please no flames. I love the LMII but I also play nylon string and acoustic guitar and the LMII is too middy for those applications so I'm considering trading/selling it and getting something more transparent. Anyone have a feel for whether the shuttle will work better for those applications? One quirk with many bass amps is they have a treble control at 10k which doesn't work for guitar (or bass for that matter).

Thoughts ?

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Hello again!

IMO, if you think the LMII is too 'middy', you will HATE the Shuttle. It's a nice sounding unit, but very 'upper mid bright' and less transparent (i.e., 'flat' at its neutral tone settings) than the LMII or F1 IMO and IME.

I would think the new EA Micro (the 500 watt update to the iAmp300), or the TecAmp Puma line might float your boat.

I have not played the new EA amp (I'm not even sure they are shipping), but the original one sounded quite pure and relatively 'mid polite'.

The TecAmp Puma fits your description regarding transparency and smooth, balanced mids, but has a similar high treble control start point as the MB stuff.

I wonder if the LM800 might work for you. They revised the treble center point down, and the voicing of the SD800 was wider and a bit more scooped in the mid mids and lower mids versus the LMII. Not sure if that tone profile will transfer to the new LM800 though.

3. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks for your thoughts. I always appreciate your viewpoints.

The most transparent of any of the amps I've owned was the iAmp 800. Unfortunately, it's very heavy and a little hissy. Next best was the UL502. The AcousticImg was transparent but too dark for acoustic/nylon string and the treble control at 10k was of no help though it's way more transparent than the LMII. If it had a serial effect loop I'd just use it along with an EQ in the loop.

Not familiar with the TecAmp Puma .

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    only one... Acoustic Image!

They are marketed to Jazz Guitarists and Acoustic instrument players as well as Bassists.

[Edit] but I guess you tried and it wasn't suited to your needs
    [/Edit]

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I was thinking of that also, and play with a number of Jazz Guitarists who use the AI heads with those Razor cabs, and the tone kills!

However... I find the AI heads much more pronounced in the midrange than the LMII, so not sure if that will work for the OP (Edit:... just read the OP's take on the AI).

6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I too found the iAmps too noisy, but they swear they have that fixed. I'm not completely sure whether to believe them or not at this point. The EA Micro might be worth a try. They also 'upgraded' the iAmp800 with a new switch mode power supply, so it's much lighter.

The TecAmp heads are actually quite similar to the Epi502, and I actually replaced my 502 with the TecAmp500. Similar smooth tone, but MUCH better EQ control of the low end, and more even mids to my ear, and 6 pounds! That might be worth a try. They are quiet, and the EQ seems much more powerful and usable than the specs and design would indicate (although the treble control might still be too high for you. I believe the Puma1000 has different EQ points than the 500./350, so that might work for you). They really sit in that Glock/502 area of the tone continuum, which I describe as 'warm and creamy but still very articulate'.

7. perhaps an alternate preamp? you can just add it on when needed, and still keep your bass tone AND find a good acoustic tone without sacrificing any more than whatever a preamp weighs (10 pounds.. tops?)

8. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    What cab are you using? I thought the Markbass amps were pretty flat, but the cabs are pretty mid-heavy. Otherwise, check out the EA iAmp range.

9. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I love acoustic image. I'm actually an endorser for them. The problem they have is that there is not enough brightness. I keep bugging them and begging them to move the treble control down to 4k but I believe they use the same preamp on all their amps.

10. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Using Epi UL112, NY112 and/or a 2x12 open back guitar cab with EV Force 12 speakers. It's middy/nasally through all 3 cabs. By comparison, the acousticimg is not and neither is my Fender Dual Showman reverb. ;)

[EDIT] - The LMII sounds fantastic with my active jazz bass.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I'd suggest trying that or an EQ like the 10 band MXR with it.

I used my Minimark (2x6) combo last nice at a rehearsal and ran my ipod through it and the first thing I noticed was that I had to use the VPF to clear up the mids ( I keep it and the VLE off when playing my basses). It sounded surprisingly good and the combo also surprised me in keeping up with a fairly boisterous drummer... it ain't magic but IMO it's very nice.

Might be worth a shot to combine that (VPF adjustment) with an EQ pedal. I'd suggest try running the acoustic into the pedal vs. putting the pedal into the effects loop.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MXRM108

12. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 Quite a few of us that play EB have talked to them about voicing a preamp that is more inherently bright (or at least extends more into the treble region) and they don't seem to be interested.

13. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i couldn't find a tecamp on google other than their site. None on ebay either? Anyone in the US have them?

Maybe I'll try one of the iamp micros...

14. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I've tried it with a parametric in the loop and in front and can't quite eq the middy tones out. I think the very thing that makes it so killer for groove-bass makes it not so good for acoustic/nylon string guitar. Perhaps reconfiguring the loop for serial and bypassing the preamp would be worth a try. I have not tried that so I don't know if the tones I'm hearing are from the power amp or preamp.

15. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    tc electronic's new RH450 with its user adjustable/recallable EQ points + its matching cabs sporting a concentric woofer/tweeter may be worth investigating.

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    The tone that made my bass sound great was making the music on the ipod sound bad. The VPF really helped to remedy that. I'd suggest making that tweak first, set flat it made music sound very middy. Then go to the EQ.

I'd suspect that the 10 band might be better than a parametric unless it had several bands.

17. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
  18. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    You may consider also a change to the MarkBass SA450. I have found the parametric EQs on this very useful inded when seeking a "more tranpsarent tone" . Knocking the bass back a tad and boosting the high mids a little with the parametric pretty well converts my old SWR Goliath Junior 210 into a Berg 112 tone. Not many people seem to comment on the MB parametrics for the SA450, probably because the MB flat tone is so appealing, but I have found this to be an extremely user friendly and simple EQ setup.

19. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Can anyone tell me if the iamp micro series sounds the same as the iamp 800 (other than the volume/headroom) ?

20. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    the sa450 looks interesting. i wonder if guitar center carries it?