Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More Treble?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NioeZero, Mar 25, 2002.

1. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Howdy, all.

I'm looking for a good pair of four string sized PASSIVE soapbar PUPs with a good high end response. My bass sounds great, but is lacking somewhat in the highs, and I'm thinking a change in PUPs may help. Or, if you've any other ideas besides changing PUPs, feel free to share them.

Any advice would help immensely.

2. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Why are you so against active electronics?

3. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    I'm not against actives, exactly, its just that after careful consideration, I really dont want to go through the trouble of retrofitting my bass with a preamp. Just want a good, passive setup with better high-end response.

4. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Well, you don't really ned a preamp for active pickups. Just a battery... How about emgs, with a normal tone knob?

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    An outboard preamp, perhaps?

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Play the bass unplugged. How are the highs? If they're not there, new pickups won't help.

7. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    hujo : Don't want to deal with dying batteries. Call me lazy, I just don't dig that idea.

brainrost: Bass sounds fine unplugged, plenty of highs.

Oysterman: Never considered an outboard preamp. Any suggestions?

I've been hunting around the Barolini website, and some of their models are interesting. Wondered if anyone has any experience with passive Barts?

8. The Bartolini soapbars that are listed as "bright" should be good. I'm not sure; I cut treble LIKE CRAZY on my bass, or the Dand G strings sound like crap. Plus i like the thump on the low end.:D

9. Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders.... I think pretty much they are the most Treble passive pickups you'll find

10. yeah, the quarter pounders have an assload of treble and bass and absolutely no warmth in the midrange whatsoever....