1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

More truss questions

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Swakey, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Swakey

Swakey

Nov 26, 2012
    Ok so my issue is this. I play in a bunch of bands mainly jazz, funk and rock. Right now, i only have one bass so i was thinking that in order to get a different sound when playing jazz for instance, i'll switch to flats. Then when i'm playing something else i'll switch to rounds. This means i'll be changing strings at least 3 times a week (obviously not new strings i'll just have a set of rounds and a set of flats and just change between the two)

Ok so questions.
    Since so much sting changing will be taking place, i assume that there will be a lot of truss rod adjusting too. Is it ok to adjust the truss rod on a regular basis or will it get damaged over time?

2. Mister_argentum

Mister_argentum

Aug 30, 2011
    Geneva
    It is not ok to change the truss rod that often.

I would advise you to keep one set of strings and trying to get the tone from you amp.

Good luck,

M.

3. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    You may adjust the truss rod as often as is necessary. It will not harm the instrument as long as the nut is not overtightened thereby stripping the threads or breaking the end of the rod. That is easy enough to avoid given that you are a tool user.

Changing strings three times a week means performing three set ups a week. Or at least doing some minor tweaks. Even if you are good and fast at it, that is an hour a week minimum. If you are playing that many gigs it begs the question, why not purchase another instrument? Serviceable guitars can be had for a very reasonable price these days.

4. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    I agree that as long as the truss rod is within its normal range of tightness (that is, not overtightened), you aren't likely to hurt it tweaking it a couple of times a week. If you actually do all that string changing, I think you'd quickly find a compromise setup that would work well with both strings, so you wouldn't really be touching the truss rod that often.

Your bigger problem is going to be wearing out the strings. Flatwounds normally last for years, but if you swap them several times a week, you are going to be replacing them quite often. They don't like to be constantly bent and unbent around posts and through bridges. Roundwounds aren't as fussy, but you will still shorten their life by constantly swapping them.

I think you'll quickly either settle on one or the other type of strings, or get a second bass.

5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Wrong. However. It would be a good excuse to use with the wife so you can buy more basses.

6. Swakey

Swakey

Nov 26, 2012
    Ok interesting. I'll problably just save up some cash and buy me a new bass at some point

7. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

In theory, yes, but that may not fit your life situation I was blue skying on how I'd play it with my lady.