Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More Turntable related mayhem

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    This is starting to anger me quite a bit: Alright. So.

I get a turntable, it looks great, I got it for free, can't complain

I run it through a tiny crappy amp: And it's ampin' quite a bit of noise, bummer. I try running it through my bass amp... same deal. Lots of hiss, and strangely enough if it gets amplified too loud it becomes a scream. I'm checking out the needle and it does look a little old, so I stupidly mess with it, and it breaks off. Now, here's a couple of questions:

- Would a bad needle create hiss? Even if no record was running? Because it would amp noise when the record player wasn't moving... but on.

- To replace a needle, do I need to replace the stylus?

- According to Needle Doctor, a new Audio Technica ATN211 EP Stylus costs 50 bucks! Is that a decent price?

- Are there any cheaper record player (AV hookups?) you know of, I'm specifically looking of turning my records into burned CDs and saving them. I have a feeling a very decent copy of "Meet the Beatles" might be worth something someday. :D

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    &^#^W&%@#*^&$#@*&&^$*&&^#@ :mad: :mad: :mad:

I really really really hate hip hop right now. I'm cruising Ebay and finding these awesome DIGITAL turntables (I didn't know such a creature exsisted) but they are expensive! If It wasn't for rap, people would be throwing theses things away! :mad: :mad:

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Did that push you over the edge a little more?

4. Every old turntable I've had has had a seperate ground, if you look at the back of an amplifier, it has a ground plug next to the phono in jacks. Was it grounded?

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Aha, so that's what that was. Well... on to my next question... hold please...

*stabs Blisshead*

Now where was I... ah yes... would my bass amp (grounded) elimanate that noise? Because it seemed to be the same noise... or does the ground hook to the amp. I'm not quite sure if I'm following you because neither the turntable nor the amp were grounded.

6. The turntable should have a left RCA and a right RCA and then a seperate ground wire, usually terminating at a little U shaped washer-like connector. That goes to a metal ground screw usually right by the PHONO IN jacks.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    AHH, there is a hole there... no wire... is this replaceable? It looks like it was ripped out!

8. I had one of these when I was a kid!

The ground for the turntable is directly above the PHONO jacks (lower left).
    [​IMG]

9. Sorry brother, don't even know where that would go to in the turntable... :(

I suppose if the wire is just snipped you could splice another wire onto it... It's just a single conductor insulated wire.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    OH, it's suppose to be like a screw?! Eeep... could I take it apart and run it to some other kind of ground externally?

11. There should be at least 3 wires leaving your turntable, the L and R RCAs and the ground. The ground connects to the screw.

What model turntable is it?

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Technics Quartz Turntable SL-QD2

[​IMG]

The only pic I could find was off ebay, no shots of the back, I don't have a digital camera either.

13. Looks like a cool turntable:

This is how it should be hooked up:
    [​IMG]
    Note the black wire going to the screw above the turntable in.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ah ha! The black wire! Yep, that's what I need. Are these something I can aquire?

15. I guess the only thing you need is a single conductor wire, and knowing where to ground it inside the turntable, and assuming you have a stereo amp with the grounding plug by the PHONO inputs. Unfortunately, the only turntable I have left is a cheap Kenwood Linear Tracking thing with the output plugs hardwired to the body. I know nothing more than this.

Really, Linear Tracking was the future of records... :scowl:

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Well, I'll see what I can do... Thank you sir, you've been most awesome.

BTW: I don't know what your signature is, but it's hilarious... the locksmith one... but the one from Kiefo is pretty sweet too. :D Thanks agian.

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I uh... had the ground... I just forgot I did. :bag:

I plugged it in, and hooked it to the intended screw area on the amp... and it didn't make that much of a difference. :(

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I was informed I would need a preamp. My question now, is there anything that can be done in post production to achieve this? I mean, I do the noise reduction in cool edit pro, but preamps also improve sound quality. I mean, they technically don't cost a lot of money, but I don't have any money. :( :(

19. The sig quote is from the old "Police Squad- In Color" TV series that spawned the Naked Gun movies.

The phono signal is less than the signal from most audio devices. Think of the PHONO and CD lines in as sort of an active and passive input on a bass amp. The phono line has a sort of extra preamp (or a seperate preamp) to boost that signal to the same level as the other stereo components. Which I always assumed that's why it required the extra ground.

I can't think of a cheap way to boost the signal before going into the stereo, besides, I have no idea how much to boost the signal...

20. Kaboom

Kaboom

Jun 13, 2005
    you are definately in need a preamp. a half-decent on is going to run you at least 30-40 bucks, probably much less if you check out ebay.
    I guess u could post-pro it, but i dont think its worth the trouble because not only do u need to aply gain to the signal but also a special EQ curve that boots the lows and tames the trebble. THat's just the way records were cut to deal with vinyl's inherent limitations.
    us freaks at www.audioreview.com forums are usually discussing 700 dollar needles and 2000 dollar turntables, but there's a heap of useful information over there, no matter what turntable u have.
    Also, there's a bunch of people (which includes me) that think that vinyl is still the highest-fidelity home medium.