Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More Versatile: 1x12 or 2x10???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jun 20, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

which is more versatile? a 2x10 or 1x12?

i mostly been in small trio formats (piano, drums, me or guitar, drums, me), and a 1x12 was perfect for filling out the rest of the mix. but recently, i joined a 7 piece, and find myself getting lost in the mix.

volume isnt the issue cause i could kill any instrument within range of my 1x12, but my friend who sits in the audience says i'm having a hard time cutting thru, and the bottom end is getting muddy.

is it a question of EQ, or should i sell the 1x12, and just spring for a tighter 2x10?

your input is greatly appreciated. :)

2. Joker, is it your sound, or is it that other instruments in the group are stepping on your place in the mix's sonic spectrum?

Specifically, are you playing with a keyboardist or a 7-string guitarist that play too low under the guise of being heavy?

Ronzo

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Which 112, the Bergantino or Aguilar?

As you know, I'm running two EA VL110 cabs and in my case they exceed any 210 I've heard. I regularly use mine in a setting with a four piece rhythym section, four vocalists and a three piece horn section and don't need PA support.

Have you tried running both cabs on a gig?

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, i'm using the Aguilar, but feel that using both might be overkill. the venues we play dont really call for that... yet... ;)

but, brad, great idear! a dual 1x10 setup? hmmm... that seems like a great option. how's it compare to a true 2x10? i know it's prolly nicely compact, and light, but what drawbacks? also, any pics?

maybe i should give Nick Epifani another visit to his shop.

5. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I think a 210 might cut through better than a 112 but Brad's dual 110 set up is great idea to. Hey Brad, what band are you with? It doesn't say in your profile, I'd love to come to some of your gigs.

6. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    i was really skeptical about using a 2X10 cab, because i thought i would loose to much low end.

i started this thread to get everybody elses opinion

2X10

i ended up buying an SWR Jr. Goliath III 2X10 about a week ago and really loved the sound when i played with my band over the weekend. i play in a large band with guitar, keys, horns, drums, percussion, and up to 4 singers. my sound really cut through well with the 2X10.

7. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I replaced two Eden D210XLT cabs with the EAs and I've had nothing but very positive feedback ever since. My drummer flat out loves this rig. It hits hard, is very tight, the low lows are amazing, he can both hear and feel what I'm playing. So... that's how it compares to two very well known 210s:)

Just for grins, on the last trio thing I did (Jazz Fusion) I only took one cab (for the first time) and my AMP BH-420 head. In an intimate setting I couldn't believe how big it sounded with a five string. Even more important was the tone. Everything I did came through loud and clear and I gained a new appreciation for the bass I was using (Brubaker). I prefer lower volume gigs where the texture of the bass can come through but for louder gigs the EAs still smoke.

Here's the little beast:

[​IMG]

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    The majority of my gigs these days are with Starfire, a group that Debbie Kirkland (local Jazz artist) fronts, for weddings/ corporate gigs, mostly private functions. I don't do much club work anymore. We're playing a wedding at the Rio Marriott in Gaithersburg this Saturday.

She's assembled a crew of NY musicians for her show with Marcus Miller next month. Not sure who's working with her this time, I think she had Keter Betts last time out.

I'm also playing in a 70's Funk group, Kosmo Defacto and have been working with a group out of Columbia that's doing some recording.

9. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Cool, let me know when you do some clubbing and I'll try to make it

10. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Joker, you are becoming the funkycarinvore of amps.

11. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    Joker - Since you are into slap and more "modern" sounding, I think 10's, be it a 210 or a pair would serve you better than 12".

I personally LOVE 12". But I play fingerstyle blues.

12. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    joker, you might try the Berg instead of the Aguilar before you give up on 112s.

13. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    im thinking about selling my epifani 210 to move to the 410 if youre interested

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    LMAO! :D

omg, a carnivore of amps. ;) but its all in the search for that elusive joker tone. *salutes* hehe...

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thanks for all your help guys!

i was recently at Make n'Music in chicago this weekend, and tried out a pair of EA VL110's with a DB359, and WOW, huge, punchie tone. some might not have liked the extra tweeter, but it gave me an airyness that i crave for in my tone. sometime, next week, i'm gonna give the Epifani shop a visit and see how that goes.

16. Joker
    I frequent Make N Music too. I live in Northwest Indiana but it's still pretty close to me. Were is the Epifani shop you spoke of? Doesn't Makin have them? Maybe not. Maybe I'll run into you sometime. My band is playing a Navy Pier (Beer Garden on July 5 at noon. Lake Effect is the name.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Biggie,

i only visited Make N' Music this weekend, and as far as i know, they dont carry Epi, but it seemed like they carried just about anything else bass related under the sun.

the Epifani shop is nowhere near Chi-town, btw, rather, in Brooklyn, NYC, nearby where i live.

You're gonna play the pier?! nice! a few friends who just graduated from college this past weekend, took me out there for drinks and the nighttime fireworks. tho it was crazy and crowded, the beer garden must be fun for gigs. Good luck!

18. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    Make N Music doesn't carry epi's, but Flynn's guitars in Evanston (just north of chicago) does. They often complain about being out, call before you go.

www.flynnguitars.com

19. After I thought about it for a minute I remembered that I tried the Epi's up at the Lakland shop, so it all come back to me now. Yes, Makin is a very up on most of the high end stuff, but no Epi's. I'm currently more interested in some Aguilar stuff.

Yes the Pier is a very fun gig. I love playin' up there. Actually we have two gigs so far. 7-5 and 8-17. There are many good local groups to enjoy through out the summer.