more versitile in the $1000 range??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basserman44, Mar 11, 2001.

1. i posted the thread about needing a punk rawk bass and said that versatility wasnt an issue. well, after thinking about spending $1000 on a bass i decided that i should be able to fit into more than one setting. cause $1000 to a 15 year old is a crap load of cash(even to older people). i played a stingray and loved it to death, but i could only get hard punk'like tones out of it, which i love, but i also like to play very melodic lines as well. pluss i'm in the school jazz band and would like to be able to play it in there as well. if this was a $500 or less bass i would definitely buy it. but at my age, the price, and how long its gonna take me to get the money, i want more than one tone.
    to make a long story short, i want a versatile bass than is suitable for punk and pretty much anything else. i've been looking at g&ls and warwicks. what other brands and models should i look for?

2. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    if you want versatile then id recomend a fender jazz bass deluxe. One of the most versatile out there in my opinion, Jazz's are used, in rock, jazz, country, funk, punk, pop, latino, etc.

another brand to consider besides Warwick and Fender is Spector.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes, I'd agree that the American Jazz Deluxe is a good solution, but I'd sure try the American Precision Deluxe too. That way, you get the P sound for rock, but the versatility of a big humbucker back at the bridge. Couple this with active electronics, and you should be mondo-versatile. By the way, now would be a good time to think about five strings. That's all.
  4. already have a fiver. but its not my style. its a mim jazz deluxe V. i'm gonna sell it to help pay for the new bass.
  5. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    yes, i cant believe i forgot to mention the p bass deluxe. those have a very phat sound as well. Mellow yet agressive if that makes any sense. and very very warm.